May 14, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Bartolo Colon‘s elbow procedure in the Dominican Republic was naturally the topic du jour as he took on the Red Sox last night.
The rejuvenated right-hander topped out at 95.6 mph on his fastball during the outing, which brought out Tweets like this one from Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe.
Colon hitting 96? Those must be some good stem cells.
Colon gave up three runs — two earned — on five hits over six-plus innings while striking out four and walking three in a losing effort.
According to Ian Begley of ESPNNewYork.com, Colon was asked about his elbow procedure after the game, but referred all questions to the players’ union.
“They know the right and wrong of the situation,” Colon said through an interpreter. “They know more so you can get anything that you may need from them.”
I’m a moron when it comes to this sort of thing, but everything I’ve read suggests this procedure wasn’t far off from platelet rich plasma injections, which have become commonplace in recent years. Why didn’t Takashi Saito have to answer these same questions back in 2008? It could be that Colon’s doctor has been connected to HGH in the past, but I also think that “stem cells” remains one of those buzz phrases that gets people all worked up for nothing.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 19
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 10
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)