May 14, 2011, 10:30 AM EST
Bartolo Colon‘s elbow procedure in the Dominican Republic was naturally the topic du jour as he took on the Red Sox last night.
The rejuvenated right-hander topped out at 95.6 mph on his fastball during the outing, which brought out Tweets like this one from Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe.
Colon hitting 96? Those must be some good stem cells.
Colon gave up three runs — two earned — on five hits over six-plus innings while striking out four and walking three in a losing effort.
According to Ian Begley of ESPNNewYork.com, Colon was asked about his elbow procedure after the game, but referred all questions to the players’ union.
“They know the right and wrong of the situation,” Colon said through an interpreter. “They know more so you can get anything that you may need from them.”
I’m a moron when it comes to this sort of thing, but everything I’ve read suggests this procedure wasn’t far off from platelet rich plasma injections, which have become commonplace in recent years. Why didn’t Takashi Saito have to answer these same questions back in 2008? It could be that Colon’s doctor has been connected to HGH in the past, but I also think that “stem cells” remains one of those buzz phrases that gets people all worked up for nothing.
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 16
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 18
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)