May 14, 2011, 9:52 AM EDT
The oblique epidemic has claimed its latest victim.
Brandon Beachy exited last night’s game against the Phillies after two innings with a strained left oblique. He suffered the injury on a swinging strikeout in the bottom of the second inning and was pulled after throwing two warm-up pitches before the top of the third.
As Beachy told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Consititution, he attempted to stay in the game at first, but found the pain unbearable.
“I felt a tearing sensation,” the rookie right-hander said, “but not having ever had anything happen like this before, I wasn’t about to take myself out of the game without trying it. And I tried. I threw the first one and it hurt, but I tried to convince myself that maybe push past that barrier. But it didn’t.”
Beachy is scheduled to be reevaluated today, but O’Brien writes that he is “almost certainly headed to the disabled list.” It’s a real shame since the 24-year-old right-hander has been a pleasant surprise since winning a spot in the starting rotation out of spring training. He has a 3.45 ERA and 46/12 K/BB ratio over his first eight starts this season.
The Braves will likely call up either Mike Minor, Julio Teheran or Rodrigo Lopez to replace him in the starting rotation.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 39
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)