May 14, 2011, 9:52 AM EST
The oblique epidemic has claimed its latest victim.
Brandon Beachy exited last night’s game against the Phillies after two innings with a strained left oblique. He suffered the injury on a swinging strikeout in the bottom of the second inning and was pulled after throwing two warm-up pitches before the top of the third.
As Beachy told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Consititution, he attempted to stay in the game at first, but found the pain unbearable.
“I felt a tearing sensation,” the rookie right-hander said, “but not having ever had anything happen like this before, I wasn’t about to take myself out of the game without trying it. And I tried. I threw the first one and it hurt, but I tried to convince myself that maybe push past that barrier. But it didn’t.”
Beachy is scheduled to be reevaluated today, but O’Brien writes that he is “almost certainly headed to the disabled list.” It’s a real shame since the 24-year-old right-hander has been a pleasant surprise since winning a spot in the starting rotation out of spring training. He has a 3.45 ERA and 46/12 K/BB ratio over his first eight starts this season.
The Braves will likely call up either Mike Minor, Julio Teheran or Rodrigo Lopez to replace him in the starting rotation.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)