May 14, 2011, 9:52 AM EDT
The oblique epidemic has claimed its latest victim.
Brandon Beachy exited last night’s game against the Phillies after two innings with a strained left oblique. He suffered the injury on a swinging strikeout in the bottom of the second inning and was pulled after throwing two warm-up pitches before the top of the third.
As Beachy told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Consititution, he attempted to stay in the game at first, but found the pain unbearable.
“I felt a tearing sensation,” the rookie right-hander said, “but not having ever had anything happen like this before, I wasn’t about to take myself out of the game without trying it. And I tried. I threw the first one and it hurt, but I tried to convince myself that maybe push past that barrier. But it didn’t.”
Beachy is scheduled to be reevaluated today, but O’Brien writes that he is “almost certainly headed to the disabled list.” It’s a real shame since the 24-year-old right-hander has been a pleasant surprise since winning a spot in the starting rotation out of spring training. He has a 3.45 ERA and 46/12 K/BB ratio over his first eight starts this season.
The Braves will likely call up either Mike Minor, Julio Teheran or Rodrigo Lopez to replace him in the starting rotation.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 0
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 61
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 29
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (153)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)