May 14, 2011, 9:52 AM EST
The oblique epidemic has claimed its latest victim.
Brandon Beachy exited last night’s game against the Phillies after two innings with a strained left oblique. He suffered the injury on a swinging strikeout in the bottom of the second inning and was pulled after throwing two warm-up pitches before the top of the third.
As Beachy told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Consititution, he attempted to stay in the game at first, but found the pain unbearable.
“I felt a tearing sensation,” the rookie right-hander said, “but not having ever had anything happen like this before, I wasn’t about to take myself out of the game without trying it. And I tried. I threw the first one and it hurt, but I tried to convince myself that maybe push past that barrier. But it didn’t.”
Beachy is scheduled to be reevaluated today, but O’Brien writes that he is “almost certainly headed to the disabled list.” It’s a real shame since the 24-year-old right-hander has been a pleasant surprise since winning a spot in the starting rotation out of spring training. He has a 3.45 ERA and 46/12 K/BB ratio over his first eight starts this season.
The Braves will likely call up either Mike Minor, Julio Teheran or Rodrigo Lopez to replace him in the starting rotation.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)