May 14, 2011, 5:44 PM EDT
After going 9-for-9 saving games to begin the season, Brandon League just turned in maybe the worst week a closer has ever had, taking losses in four straight appearances and blown saves in each of the last three. Overall, he gave up 10 runs in 2 2/3 innings over four appearances.
He became the first reliever since the Nationals’ Ron Villone in 2009 to take losses in four straight appearances.
What the stretch really brings to mind, though, is the one Brian Fuentes, then with the Rockies, had in 2007. Fuentes, an excellent closer for 2 1/2 years, suddenly lost it at the end of June. He took blown saves and losses in four straight games over an eight day stretch, yieldding 11 runs — eight earned — in 2 1/3 innings in the process.
The Rockies felt they had no other choice but to pull him from the closer’s role and go to Manuel Corpas. Fuentes went on the DL just a week afterwards because of a strained lat muscle. He returned and pitched brilliantly as a setup man in the second half, amassing a 1.52 ERA in 23 2/3 innings. Things went well for the Rockies, too, as they advanced to the World Series before losing to the Red Sox.
League, of course, won’t be contributing to a postseason run this year, not unless he’s traded anyway. And the Mariners really want him to succeed in the closer’s role with David Aardsma potentially done for the year. They do have three relievers with sub-2.00 ERAs in David Pauley, Aaron Laffey and Jamey Wright, but they’re all failed starters with mediocre stuff.
As things stand now, it looks like manager Eric Wedge is giving League one more chance to keep his job. Another blown save, though, and it will probably be Wright’s turn to close.
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)