May 14, 2011, 5:44 PM EDT
After going 9-for-9 saving games to begin the season, Brandon League just turned in maybe the worst week a closer has ever had, taking losses in four straight appearances and blown saves in each of the last three. Overall, he gave up 10 runs in 2 2/3 innings over four appearances.
He became the first reliever since the Nationals’ Ron Villone in 2009 to take losses in four straight appearances.
What the stretch really brings to mind, though, is the one Brian Fuentes, then with the Rockies, had in 2007. Fuentes, an excellent closer for 2 1/2 years, suddenly lost it at the end of June. He took blown saves and losses in four straight games over an eight day stretch, yieldding 11 runs — eight earned — in 2 1/3 innings in the process.
The Rockies felt they had no other choice but to pull him from the closer’s role and go to Manuel Corpas. Fuentes went on the DL just a week afterwards because of a strained lat muscle. He returned and pitched brilliantly as a setup man in the second half, amassing a 1.52 ERA in 23 2/3 innings. Things went well for the Rockies, too, as they advanced to the World Series before losing to the Red Sox.
League, of course, won’t be contributing to a postseason run this year, not unless he’s traded anyway. And the Mariners really want him to succeed in the closer’s role with David Aardsma potentially done for the year. They do have three relievers with sub-2.00 ERAs in David Pauley, Aaron Laffey and Jamey Wright, but they’re all failed starters with mediocre stuff.
As things stand now, it looks like manager Eric Wedge is giving League one more chance to keep his job. Another blown save, though, and it will probably be Wright’s turn to close.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 30
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 62
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)