May 14, 2011, 2:31 PM EDT
“Maybe I scratched it during the night,” Beltran said. “It just burns. It’s burning inside, on top of it.”
Beltran was given eye drops by team trainers and will see a doctor. Fernando Martinez, who hit his second major league home run in last night’s comeback victory, will take his place in right field.
Any lengthy absence is a tough blow for a lineup that is already missing first baseman Ike Davis. Beltran is batting .341 (14-for-41) over his last 12 games and currently leads the National League with 13 doubles while ranking third in slugging percentage (.587) and sixth in OPS (.971).
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 31
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 40
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL