May 14, 2011, 2:31 PM EST
“Maybe I scratched it during the night,” Beltran said. “It just burns. It’s burning inside, on top of it.”
Beltran was given eye drops by team trainers and will see a doctor. Fernando Martinez, who hit his second major league home run in last night’s comeback victory, will take his place in right field.
Any lengthy absence is a tough blow for a lineup that is already missing first baseman Ike Davis. Beltran is batting .341 (14-for-41) over his last 12 games and currently leads the National League with 13 doubles while ranking third in slugging percentage (.587) and sixth in OPS (.971).
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 76
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (80)