May 14, 2011, 12:04 PM EDT
Ben Francisco has begun to lose his grip on the starting right field job by batting just .107 (3-for-28) with a 7/7 K/BB ratio this month, but at least now he has a little more time to right the ship.
According to David Hale of the Wilmington News Journal, Domonic Brown was diagnosed with a first degree sprain of the ulnar collateral ligament in his right thumb and will be sidelined for 5-7 days. Brown suffered the injury while playing with Triple-A Lehigh Valley on Wednesday, so he could presumably return to action sometime next week.
Brown has bounced back nicely from hamate bone surgery by batting .353/.425/.588 with two homers, two doubles and seven RBI over his first 40 plate appearances with Triple-A Lehigh Valley. The most important thing is that the 23-year-old gets regular at-bats right now, but he should eventually get a chance at the job he was expected to win at the start of spring training.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 18
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 81
- The Lester trade is a win-win 107
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 162
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (162)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (107)