May 14, 2011, 8:14 PM EDT
“They say it could be conjunctivitis,” Beltran said. “They gave me some antibiotics today. It’s better, but I still feel a little blurry. They got me some eye drops and they want me to take those tonight, and hopefully tomorrow I’ll feel better. … I feel better than how I came here early, but I still need to get better in order for me to play.”
Conjunctivitis is more commonly known as pink eye and can have a variety of effects. For Beltran, it’s causing blurred vision and discomfort in the form of eye socket pressure. He’s hoping to return to the Mets’ starting lineup on Sunday afternoon, but it’s quite possible that he simply won’t feel well enough.
Beltran is batting .324/.435/.865 so far this month. He slugged three two-run homers on Thursday night.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 7
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (155)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)