Pete Rose wants to manage again

May 14, 2011, 11:36 PM EDT

Pete Rose AP

This might be even less likely than Ned Yost becoming an astronaut.

As the keynote speaker Saturday at the Ohio Justice & Policy Center Gala (trust us, if you have a chance to go once in your life, do so), Pete Rose said he still hopes to manage a major league team.

The 70-year-old Rose, who accepted a lifetime ban from baseball in 1989, said he has given up on being inducted to the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown.  But if any owner and general manager out there have a future All-Star center fielder that needs burying, he’s your man.

Given that he shouldn’t be counting on receiving a major league manager’s salary anytime soon, we just hope he’s careful about reporting his appearance fee for the speech.  Tonight’s remarks came in front of the federal judge who sent him to prison for tax evasion related to his gambling on baseball.

1. kmgannon - May 14, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Pete Rose is 70? Damn I feel old. Really. Really. Old.

2. pisano - May 15, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Yeah, and I want to hose every good looking lady I see. Fat chance

3. buckybadger - May 15, 2011 at 1:24 AM

Sorry Rose. Just like a felon can’t ever own a gun again one who once gambled on baseball can no longer be apart of the sport.

• amilcare10 - May 15, 2011 at 11:15 AM

This commissioner is an A.H. ( a life sentence for gambling) you got to be kidding. Drugs, killing dogs, AA abuse, and all the other crap they do and get away with it and still play, BB/football you name it. Different sports different commissioners…..all BS
      Let this guy alone…same as a numbers writer, he gets time and some idiot shoots a guy or robs him at gun point/knife and goes free.
      maybe he can go to the eagles they hire anything. I know different sport..
      get a life…..

4. goldensombrero3000 - May 15, 2011 at 1:35 AM

Pete Rose always wanted to manage young people. Have him work with some Single A or Double A team. I’d hire him.

5. jstrizzle - May 15, 2011 at 1:57 AM

Judging by the picture I would say he is as perplexed as I am

6. eddyjf - May 15, 2011 at 7:19 AM

Can’t say I blame him. Makes it a lot easier to win your bets.

7. giboxer5 - May 15, 2011 at 10:42 AM

sigh..SO sad!! While he should never be able to manage, I’ll never understand how the best hitter ever isn’t in the Hall of Fame for something that happened post-player. Not looking for an argument, I know all the facts and it’s just my opinion.. As long as he’s held-out (I assume he’ll go into the Hall after he dies) the steroid guys better be kept even further away. I can sympathize with a guy who bet ON his team (never against) as a manager over the roid guys who’s numbers are so tainted NONE of them should even be kept..

• amilcare10 - May 15, 2011 at 11:19 AM

your right, I write about this all the time and the first thing I always get is being a racist or some other BS.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 15, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Race has nothing to do with it. Never mind that your arguments about other sports hold zero relevance to the topic at hand, Rose broke the one rule that has been posted in every clubhouse for decades! He agreed to a ban, then lied for what, the next 20-30 years about what he did and you want to take him at his word that he only bet on his team to win?

• raysfan1 - May 15, 2011 at 12:41 PM

“I assume he’ll go into the Hall after he dies…”
      _____
      You assume incorrectly. “Shoeless” Joe Jackson died 57 years ago and is still not in. The HoF holds anyone banned from baseball as ineligible for entry. At least so far, “banned for life” from baseball means “banned for eternal life” from the Hall.
      MLB’s view on gambling is simple–the perception created by allowing organized gambling anywhere near the game damages the sport financially. They will never back off that stance. Every player and manager knows the rule & the consequences of getting caught–permanent banishment. Rose gambled anyway and got caught. Even betting only for his team to win does not hold water. Did he bet for his team to win every single game? If not, it creates a perception that he might not have been trying as hard in the games he did not bet on. Did he bet the same amount every single game? If not, it creates a perception that he might not have been trying as hard in the games he bet less on.
      As for the repeated claims of only gambling after quitting playing, maybe–but not sure I really buy that. He is, after all a convicted felon who lied about his betting on baseball for years. I also don’t believe the steroid abusers who claim to have only tried them once or twice, since you mentioned them; nor do I believe the amphetamine abusers (who are PED abusers as well) who claimed to have used them only once.
      As a counterpoint to what I stated about MLB’s view of gambling on baseball, they will not ban PED abusers. One, there are too many of them. Two, PED abuse has (in MLB’s view) not adversely affected the integrity of the game in that the abusers all did/do so to perform better and to try to win more games…and PEDs have not damaged MLB’s bottom line. Since MLB will not ban them, neither will (at least officially) the HoF. The only way to keep PED abusers out is for the voters to keep them out. There’s already 1 old-timer in who is known to have used testosterone (Pud Galvin)–of course, it was not illegal then either, let alone against any rules. There are multiple amphetamine abusers already in. There are steroid rumors about at least one modern-era member. Steroids have been in wide use by athletes for 50 years or more (even articles in Sports Illustrated back to 1960), so I think it likely that there are already several in the Hall that have used them–personal opinion only, of course, and that it’s inevitable that more will be enshrined (again, personal opinion only).
      Not that I disagree entirely with your viewpoint. Especially that HoF enshrinement should be based n accomplishments and not standing with MLB, since MLB does not run the Hall anyway.

• amilcare10 - May 15, 2011 at 2:35 PM

nicely stated Ray, I think you stated it all as it is written and I totally agree with all you say especially the last sentence.
        and I go back to the 30s
        have a good day

• dasher521 - May 16, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Nice post, Raysfan. It’s hard to argue an MLB rule that is posted in every club house.

I believe that MLB and the Hall of Fame are two different organizations. The rule on Hall of Fame eligibility is set by the BBWA. I was under the impression that Hall of Fame made a rule that players on MLB’s ineligible list were not eligible to be voted upon for induction in to the Hall. This rule was enacted after Rose had been placed on MLB’s ineligible list and before Rose’s five years had passed.

8. amilcare10 - May 15, 2011 at 12:29 PM

we can never mind your arguments also, you believe what you want also since you want to put it that way. you have no idea what was said to me. but YOU’RE correct race HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT and leave it at that. the guys that carry weapons or kill dogs say “I didn’t do it” yeah right….BTW I didn’t mean they called him any names but no need to explain to you since I think you probably know everything. have a good day.

• saucepaws - May 15, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Learn to use punctuation. This was the most difficult thing I’ve had to read in weeks. I still don’t have the slightest clue what you’re talking about. Have a good day.

• amilcare10 - May 15, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Well! maybe you never learned….you haven’t got a clue on life either I suppose but no problem. thank you

9. Detroit Michael - May 16, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Leave aside for a moment your feelings about what SHOULD happen. Isn’t Rose being delusional still? What are the chances that he eventually gets into the Hall of Fame, remembering that there is no time limit on that happening? 20% perhaps? Now what’s the chance that a major league team will hire Rose as manager when he’s now 70 years old, has been out of baseball for twenty years, gambled on baseball when he was manager, would have to get his status changed by the Commissioner’s office, and wasn’t all that a success manager when he was employed in the late 1980s? Maybe 0.5%?

Your exact figures will differ of course, but the chances are certainly much higher than he eventually is inducted in Baseball’s Hall of Fame, yet Rose seems to believe that being rehired as a MLB manager is more likely.

10. danberman4 - May 27, 2011 at 7:55 PM

He seems to be still a regular at casinos. It’s sad what happened to him. And now he says he’d like be in the Hall while can enjoy it. I don’t think so.

Don't count out the Yankees just yet
  1. R. Castillo (4723)