May 14, 2011, 4:56 PM EDT
Phillies center fielder Shane Victorino exited Saturday’s game in the eighth inning with hamstring soreness and said afterwards that he doesn’t expect to play Sunday.
According to Todd Zolecki on Twitter, Victorino said he didn’t think a DL stint would be necessary. However, he is likely to miss a couple of days due to the problem.
Even that’s a real problem for the Phillies, who aren’t carrying a legitimate backup center fielder. Rule 5 pick Michael Martinez was their starter the one day Victorino has had off all season. Ben Francisco used to play some center for the Indians, but he’s been limited to right field this year and even as the Phillies’ fourth outfielder throughout 2010, he player there just twice all season. John Mayberry Jr., who took over for Victorino today, has never started a game in center.
The Phillies used Jayson Werth in center when Victorino missed time last year. Obviously, that’s no longer an option.
With Roy Halladay starting Sunday, we’re guessing the Phillies will want their best defensive option out there. That probably means going back to Martinez, who is 4-for-21 with one RBI and no extra-base hits as a major leaguer.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 5
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)