May 14, 2011, 4:56 PM EDT
Phillies center fielder Shane Victorino exited Saturday’s game in the eighth inning with hamstring soreness and said afterwards that he doesn’t expect to play Sunday.
According to Todd Zolecki on Twitter, Victorino said he didn’t think a DL stint would be necessary. However, he is likely to miss a couple of days due to the problem.
Even that’s a real problem for the Phillies, who aren’t carrying a legitimate backup center fielder. Rule 5 pick Michael Martinez was their starter the one day Victorino has had off all season. Ben Francisco used to play some center for the Indians, but he’s been limited to right field this year and even as the Phillies’ fourth outfielder throughout 2010, he player there just twice all season. John Mayberry Jr., who took over for Victorino today, has never started a game in center.
The Phillies used Jayson Werth in center when Victorino missed time last year. Obviously, that’s no longer an option.
With Roy Halladay starting Sunday, we’re guessing the Phillies will want their best defensive option out there. That probably means going back to Martinez, who is 4-for-21 with one RBI and no extra-base hits as a major leaguer.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 0
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 61
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 63
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process (78)