May 14, 2011, 4:56 PM EDT
Phillies center fielder Shane Victorino exited Saturday’s game in the eighth inning with hamstring soreness and said afterwards that he doesn’t expect to play Sunday.
According to Todd Zolecki on Twitter, Victorino said he didn’t think a DL stint would be necessary. However, he is likely to miss a couple of days due to the problem.
Even that’s a real problem for the Phillies, who aren’t carrying a legitimate backup center fielder. Rule 5 pick Michael Martinez was their starter the one day Victorino has had off all season. Ben Francisco used to play some center for the Indians, but he’s been limited to right field this year and even as the Phillies’ fourth outfielder throughout 2010, he player there just twice all season. John Mayberry Jr., who took over for Victorino today, has never started a game in center.
The Phillies used Jayson Werth in center when Victorino missed time last year. Obviously, that’s no longer an option.
With Roy Halladay starting Sunday, we’re guessing the Phillies will want their best defensive option out there. That probably means going back to Martinez, who is 4-for-21 with one RBI and no extra-base hits as a major leaguer.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 103
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 85
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)