May 14, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
UPDATE: It’s official. Borbon was placed on the 15-day disabled list this afternoon with left hamstring inflammation. Endy Chavez has been called up from Triple-A Round Rock.
11:00 AM: Julio Borbon left last night’s game against the Angels in the top of the seventh inning with a strained left hamstring.
While Borbon downplayed the injury in his comments to Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com following the game, we’ll know more about his status after he undergoes an MRI later today.
“As soon as I broke to the ball and took the first couple of steps, I felt a slight pull,” said Borbon, who added the hamstring was a little tight the past few days. “Even though it was something I knew wasn’t going to allow me to go full speed, I kept drifting and dragging my leg and I didn’t want to go where it would pop. I would say it was a slight pull right now.”
If Borbon does indeed require a stint on the disabled list, that means the entire Opening Day outfield would be on the DL at the same time. Josh Hamilton is currently working his way back from a fractured right humerus while Nelson Cruz is close to going on a rehab assignment after straining his right quad earlier this month.
The injury is ill-timed for Borbon, who has found himself back in the good graces of Rangers manager Ron Washington with a recent 10-game hitting streak. Endy Chavez was pulled from a game with Triple-A Round Rock last night and would likely replace Borbon on the roster if he needs to go on the disabled list. Chavez hasn’t played in the big leagues since undergoing surgery to repair a torn ACL and MCL in his right knee in July of 2009.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 0
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 14
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 13
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 8
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 21
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)