May 14, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
UPDATE: It’s official. Borbon was placed on the 15-day disabled list this afternoon with left hamstring inflammation. Endy Chavez has been called up from Triple-A Round Rock.
11:00 AM: Julio Borbon left last night’s game against the Angels in the top of the seventh inning with a strained left hamstring.
While Borbon downplayed the injury in his comments to Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com following the game, we’ll know more about his status after he undergoes an MRI later today.
“As soon as I broke to the ball and took the first couple of steps, I felt a slight pull,” said Borbon, who added the hamstring was a little tight the past few days. “Even though it was something I knew wasn’t going to allow me to go full speed, I kept drifting and dragging my leg and I didn’t want to go where it would pop. I would say it was a slight pull right now.”
If Borbon does indeed require a stint on the disabled list, that means the entire Opening Day outfield would be on the DL at the same time. Josh Hamilton is currently working his way back from a fractured right humerus while Nelson Cruz is close to going on a rehab assignment after straining his right quad earlier this month.
The injury is ill-timed for Borbon, who has found himself back in the good graces of Rangers manager Ron Washington with a recent 10-game hitting streak. Endy Chavez was pulled from a game with Triple-A Round Rock last night and would likely replace Borbon on the roster if he needs to go on the disabled list. Chavez hasn’t played in the big leagues since undergoing surgery to repair a torn ACL and MCL in his right knee in July of 2009.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)