May 14, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
UPDATE: It’s official. Borbon was placed on the 15-day disabled list this afternoon with left hamstring inflammation. Endy Chavez has been called up from Triple-A Round Rock.
11:00 AM: Julio Borbon left last night’s game against the Angels in the top of the seventh inning with a strained left hamstring.
While Borbon downplayed the injury in his comments to Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com following the game, we’ll know more about his status after he undergoes an MRI later today.
“As soon as I broke to the ball and took the first couple of steps, I felt a slight pull,” said Borbon, who added the hamstring was a little tight the past few days. “Even though it was something I knew wasn’t going to allow me to go full speed, I kept drifting and dragging my leg and I didn’t want to go where it would pop. I would say it was a slight pull right now.”
If Borbon does indeed require a stint on the disabled list, that means the entire Opening Day outfield would be on the DL at the same time. Josh Hamilton is currently working his way back from a fractured right humerus while Nelson Cruz is close to going on a rehab assignment after straining his right quad earlier this month.
The injury is ill-timed for Borbon, who has found himself back in the good graces of Rangers manager Ron Washington with a recent 10-game hitting streak. Endy Chavez was pulled from a game with Triple-A Round Rock last night and would likely replace Borbon on the roster if he needs to go on the disabled list. Chavez hasn’t played in the big leagues since undergoing surgery to repair a torn ACL and MCL in his right knee in July of 2009.
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 2
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 3
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 33
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)