May 15, 2011, 8:56 AM EDT
Red Sox first baseman Adrian Gonzalez is on absolute tear at the plate.
He slugged a three-run homer in Saturday night’s 6-0 rout of the Yankees and now has seven home runs and 13 RBI in his past eight games. The 29-year-old is batting .345 with an .836 slugging percentage in the month of May.
Gonzalez has also started every game thus far on the Red Sox’ schedule. Only Jacoby Ellsbury can also claim that feat.
“A-Gone” hit a rough patch or two in his debut month with Boston — his OPS sat at .746 on April 15 — but those struggles are well behind him and there’s no reason to think that he can’t keep the good times rolling all season. He’s currently sporting a .961 OPS, nine longballs and 34 runs batted in through 39 games played.
According to Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe, only five players in franchise history have roared out to such a fine offensive start. Manny Ramirez had 13 homers and 46 RBI through 38 games in 2001, Jimmie Foxx had 11 homers and 35 RBI through 38 games in 1936, Ted Williams had 8 homers and 38 RBI as a rookie in 1939, Walt Dropo had 10 homers and 34 RBI as a rookie in 1949, and Carl Everett smashed 13 homers and 38 RBI through his first 38 games in 2000. Decent company, eh?
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 9
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 1
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 11
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 141
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)