May 15, 2011, 8:56 AM EDT
Red Sox first baseman Adrian Gonzalez is on absolute tear at the plate.
He slugged a three-run homer in Saturday night’s 6-0 rout of the Yankees and now has seven home runs and 13 RBI in his past eight games. The 29-year-old is batting .345 with an .836 slugging percentage in the month of May.
Gonzalez has also started every game thus far on the Red Sox’ schedule. Only Jacoby Ellsbury can also claim that feat.
“A-Gone” hit a rough patch or two in his debut month with Boston — his OPS sat at .746 on April 15 — but those struggles are well behind him and there’s no reason to think that he can’t keep the good times rolling all season. He’s currently sporting a .961 OPS, nine longballs and 34 runs batted in through 39 games played.
According to Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe, only five players in franchise history have roared out to such a fine offensive start. Manny Ramirez had 13 homers and 46 RBI through 38 games in 2001, Jimmie Foxx had 11 homers and 35 RBI through 38 games in 1936, Ted Williams had 8 homers and 38 RBI as a rookie in 1939, Walt Dropo had 10 homers and 34 RBI as a rookie in 1949, and Carl Everett smashed 13 homers and 38 RBI through his first 38 games in 2000. Decent company, eh?
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 3
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 16
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 9
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (190)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)