May 15, 2011, 1:54 PM EST
The Braves placed starter Brandon Beachy on the disabled list Sunday morning with a left oblique strain and now David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution passes along word that the young right-hander is likely to miss over a month of action.
It’s an unfortunate bit of news given Beachy’s impressive early line (3.45 ERA, 1.08 WHIP through eight outings), but the Braves are lucky enough to have gobs of starting pitching depth.
Julio Teheran is likely to get the first crack at the major league rotation vacancy. A 20-year-old mega-prospect from Cartagena, Colombia, he has posted a 1.91 ERA and 7.6 K/9 across 37 2/3 innings this season with Triple-A Gwinnett. He allowed three runs in 4 2/3 frames when he made his big league debut last week against the Phillies.
If the Braves decide Teheran needs more polishing, they’ll probably turn to Mike Minor, a 23-year-old left-hander with a 1.82 ERA and 43/14 K/BB ratio through 39 2/3 innings this season at Gwinnett.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)