May 15, 2011, 2:31 PM EST
Cardinals center fielder Colby Rasmus strained a muscle near his abdomen while lifting weights last Monday. It finally began causing him enough discomfort this weekend that he was held out of Sunday’s series finale against the Reds.
This all comes via beat writer Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
Rasmus will be examined Monday morning when the Cardinals return to St. Louis for a two-game series against the visiting Phillies. It doesn’t sound like he is going to need a stint on the 15-day disabled list, but there’s no way of knowing for sure until team doctors give him a look. Jon Jay started Sunday out in center field.
Rasmus, 24, is batting .305/.393/.461 with three home runs, 15 RBI and 31 runs scored through 39 games this season. He has reached base in 16 straight contests dating back to April 26.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)