May 15, 2011, 2:31 PM EDT
Cardinals center fielder Colby Rasmus strained a muscle near his abdomen while lifting weights last Monday. It finally began causing him enough discomfort this weekend that he was held out of Sunday’s series finale against the Reds.
This all comes via beat writer Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
Rasmus will be examined Monday morning when the Cardinals return to St. Louis for a two-game series against the visiting Phillies. It doesn’t sound like he is going to need a stint on the 15-day disabled list, but there’s no way of knowing for sure until team doctors give him a look. Jon Jay started Sunday out in center field.
Rasmus, 24, is batting .305/.393/.461 with three home runs, 15 RBI and 31 runs scored through 39 games this season. He has reached base in 16 straight contests dating back to April 26.
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 7
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 44
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 28
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)