May 15, 2011, 2:31 PM EDT
Cardinals center fielder Colby Rasmus strained a muscle near his abdomen while lifting weights last Monday. It finally began causing him enough discomfort this weekend that he was held out of Sunday’s series finale against the Reds.
This all comes via beat writer Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
Rasmus will be examined Monday morning when the Cardinals return to St. Louis for a two-game series against the visiting Phillies. It doesn’t sound like he is going to need a stint on the 15-day disabled list, but there’s no way of knowing for sure until team doctors give him a look. Jon Jay started Sunday out in center field.
Rasmus, 24, is batting .305/.393/.461 with three home runs, 15 RBI and 31 runs scored through 39 games this season. He has reached base in 16 straight contests dating back to April 26.
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 0
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 13
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 7
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 36
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)