May 15, 2011, 2:31 PM EDT
Cardinals center fielder Colby Rasmus strained a muscle near his abdomen while lifting weights last Monday. It finally began causing him enough discomfort this weekend that he was held out of Sunday’s series finale against the Reds.
This all comes via beat writer Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
Rasmus will be examined Monday morning when the Cardinals return to St. Louis for a two-game series against the visiting Phillies. It doesn’t sound like he is going to need a stint on the 15-day disabled list, but there’s no way of knowing for sure until team doctors give him a look. Jon Jay started Sunday out in center field.
Rasmus, 24, is batting .305/.393/.461 with three home runs, 15 RBI and 31 runs scored through 39 games this season. He has reached base in 16 straight contests dating back to April 26.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)