May 15, 2011, 2:31 PM EDT
Cardinals center fielder Colby Rasmus strained a muscle near his abdomen while lifting weights last Monday. It finally began causing him enough discomfort this weekend that he was held out of Sunday’s series finale against the Reds.
This all comes via beat writer Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
Rasmus will be examined Monday morning when the Cardinals return to St. Louis for a two-game series against the visiting Phillies. It doesn’t sound like he is going to need a stint on the 15-day disabled list, but there’s no way of knowing for sure until team doctors give him a look. Jon Jay started Sunday out in center field.
Rasmus, 24, is batting .305/.393/.461 with three home runs, 15 RBI and 31 runs scored through 39 games this season. He has reached base in 16 straight contests dating back to April 26.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 29
- Joe Maddon shows us why limited instant replay and manager challenges are bad ideas 37
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore 63
- Apparently Miguel Cabrera’s 2013 has made his 2012 better somehow 55
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims