May 15, 2011, 10:33 AM EDT
Michael Aubrey wasn’t the only minor leaguer putting on an offensive show Saturday.
According to Robert Emrich of Milb.com, Royals farmhand Lorenzo Cain hit for the cycle and tallied a career-high seven RBI to lead the Triple-A Omaha Chasers over the Colorado Springs Sky Sox (an affiliate of the Rockies), 16-11.
Cain was a minor piece in this past winter’s Zack Greinke trade. He launched a first-inning grand slam, then doubled in the third and singled in the fourth. In the sixth, he hit a two-run triple.
“I can’t really point one thing out,” Cain said after the game. “I feel like we had a long day traveling today. I just tried to put together consistent at-bats and I was able to put a good swing on the ball today. I’m very pumped about it. I’ve always wanted to hit a grand slam and hit for the cycle, and it came in the same game. It’s a very special moment for me, so I’m very excited to get that done tonight. I had a few text messages from my mom and my girlfriend, and they were definitely excited for me.”
Cain improved his batting average 25 points with the one-day performance and is now hitting .308/.385/.500 with two homers, 14 RBI and five steals in five chances. He turned 25 years old in mid-April.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 9
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 16
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)