May 15, 2011, 10:33 AM EST
Michael Aubrey wasn’t the only minor leaguer putting on an offensive show Saturday.
According to Robert Emrich of Milb.com, Royals farmhand Lorenzo Cain hit for the cycle and tallied a career-high seven RBI to lead the Triple-A Omaha Chasers over the Colorado Springs Sky Sox (an affiliate of the Rockies), 16-11.
Cain was a minor piece in this past winter’s Zack Greinke trade. He launched a first-inning grand slam, then doubled in the third and singled in the fourth. In the sixth, he hit a two-run triple.
“I can’t really point one thing out,” Cain said after the game. “I feel like we had a long day traveling today. I just tried to put together consistent at-bats and I was able to put a good swing on the ball today. I’m very pumped about it. I’ve always wanted to hit a grand slam and hit for the cycle, and it came in the same game. It’s a very special moment for me, so I’m very excited to get that done tonight. I had a few text messages from my mom and my girlfriend, and they were definitely excited for me.”
Cain improved his batting average 25 points with the one-day performance and is now hitting .308/.385/.500 with two homers, 14 RBI and five steals in five chances. He turned 25 years old in mid-April.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 65
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 59
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 46
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 8
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)