May 15, 2011, 10:33 AM EDT
Michael Aubrey wasn’t the only minor leaguer putting on an offensive show Saturday.
According to Robert Emrich of Milb.com, Royals farmhand Lorenzo Cain hit for the cycle and tallied a career-high seven RBI to lead the Triple-A Omaha Chasers over the Colorado Springs Sky Sox (an affiliate of the Rockies), 16-11.
Cain was a minor piece in this past winter’s Zack Greinke trade. He launched a first-inning grand slam, then doubled in the third and singled in the fourth. In the sixth, he hit a two-run triple.
“I can’t really point one thing out,” Cain said after the game. “I feel like we had a long day traveling today. I just tried to put together consistent at-bats and I was able to put a good swing on the ball today. I’m very pumped about it. I’ve always wanted to hit a grand slam and hit for the cycle, and it came in the same game. It’s a very special moment for me, so I’m very excited to get that done tonight. I had a few text messages from my mom and my girlfriend, and they were definitely excited for me.”
Cain improved his batting average 25 points with the one-day performance and is now hitting .308/.385/.500 with two homers, 14 RBI and five steals in five chances. He turned 25 years old in mid-April.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 39
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 70
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 33
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (163)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)