May 15, 2011, 5:03 PM EDT
Despite battling a case of shingles, Cardinals manager Tony La Russa made his regular weekly appearance Sunday on KMOX radio and gave an update on his status. B.J. Rains of FOX Sports Midwest has the goods.
“We’re going to get together with (general manager) John Mozeliak and our team doctors and trainers tomorrow and figure out the smartest thing to do,” La Russa said Sunday. “I’ll be patient one more day and see what that discussion goes like. It’s been hard because you take responsibility for your position and being there but the only thing that’s really helped is I know the quality of our staff. There wasn’t anything that happened that I could have done anything better with.”
La Russa missed his sixth consecutive game Sunday afternoon in Cincinnati, but he’s been calling in daily lineups to acting manager Joe Pettini and staying plenty active with the day-to-day operations of the club.
The Cards open a two-game series against the Phillies on Monday in St. Louis and then host the Astros for a two-game set Wednesday and Thursday. It seems likely that La Russa will return during that four-game span.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)