May 15, 2011, 5:03 PM EDT
Despite battling a case of shingles, Cardinals manager Tony La Russa made his regular weekly appearance Sunday on KMOX radio and gave an update on his status. B.J. Rains of FOX Sports Midwest has the goods.
“We’re going to get together with (general manager) John Mozeliak and our team doctors and trainers tomorrow and figure out the smartest thing to do,” La Russa said Sunday. “I’ll be patient one more day and see what that discussion goes like. It’s been hard because you take responsibility for your position and being there but the only thing that’s really helped is I know the quality of our staff. There wasn’t anything that happened that I could have done anything better with.”
La Russa missed his sixth consecutive game Sunday afternoon in Cincinnati, but he’s been calling in daily lineups to acting manager Joe Pettini and staying plenty active with the day-to-day operations of the club.
The Cards open a two-game series against the Phillies on Monday in St. Louis and then host the Astros for a two-game set Wednesday and Thursday. It seems likely that La Russa will return during that four-game span.
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 8
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 96
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 97
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (98)