May 16, 2011, 6:15 PM EST
Andrew Cashner, who had a terrific starting debut with the Cubs back on April 5 before succumbing to sore shoulder and going on the DL, has experienced tightness in his rehab and will undergo an MRI, CSN Chicago’s Patrick Mooney reports.
Cashner was expected to pitch in an extended spring training game today as part of his rehab.
The 24-year-old Cashner appeared in 53 games as a reliever during his rookie season in 2010 before beating out Carlos Silva for the final spot in the Cubs rotation this year. He allowed one run and two hits in 5 1/3 innings against the Diamondbacks in his season debut before leaving with shoulder soreness. He was diagnosed with a rotator cuff strain and placed on the DL.
If there’s further damage in Cashner’s rotation cuff, there’s a good chance the Cubs will be without him for the rest of the season. Doug Davis, who made his Cubs debut Saturday as the replacement for James Russell in the rotation, might be needed a whole lot longer than expected.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 100
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)