May 16, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Casey Blake has been out since April 25 with an elbow infection that was expected to sideline him for 4-6 weeks, but yesterday manager Don Mattingly revealed that “Casey is close” to beginning a minor-league rehab assignment.
Mattingly told Steve Dilbeck of the Los Angeles Times that Blake “went the fully Monty” yesterday, which means taking batting practice and fielding ground balls (presumably with clothes on).
Friday is the start of a six-game road trip for the Dodgers and Mattingly indicated that the goal is for Blake to begin rehabbing during that time.
Juan Uribe has started 13 of the past 15 games at third base in Blake’s absence, but has hit just .154 and was benched yesterday in favor of Juan Castro.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 8
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 22
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 34
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)