May 16, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Casey Blake has been out since April 25 with an elbow infection that was expected to sideline him for 4-6 weeks, but yesterday manager Don Mattingly revealed that “Casey is close” to beginning a minor-league rehab assignment.
Mattingly told Steve Dilbeck of the Los Angeles Times that Blake “went the fully Monty” yesterday, which means taking batting practice and fielding ground balls (presumably with clothes on).
Friday is the start of a six-game road trip for the Dodgers and Mattingly indicated that the goal is for Blake to begin rehabbing during that time.
Juan Uribe has started 13 of the past 15 games at third base in Blake’s absence, but has hit just .154 and was benched yesterday in favor of Juan Castro.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)