May 16, 2011, 9:12 AM EDT
They’re characterizing Chipper Jones’ knee injury as a “slight” meniscus tear, but is there anything “slight” when you’re 39-years-old and are already pretty brittle to begin with? The plan now: cortisone shot and some rest, but if that doesn’t work surgery is likely, which will put Jones out for a few weeks.
Remember that stuff I wrote this morning about future Hall of Famers as key players on a contending team? Well, Jones is another one. Unlike the guys up in New York, however, Jones has continued to be a key contributor to the Braves this year, hitting .275/.366/.465 and leading the team with 27 RBI. His loss will be felt if he does, indeed, need surgery.
For now the plan will be to either move Martin Prado to third and have Eric Hinske cover left field (my preference) or have Brooks Conrad take over for Jones at third (opposing hitters’ preference). I’m guessing Fredi Gonzalez would go with the former. Though really, if there is an extended Jones-absence, Atlanta will have to pick up a left fielder or a third baseman, methinks.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 42
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 10
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 46
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 7
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 60
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months