May 16, 2011, 9:12 AM EDT
They’re characterizing Chipper Jones’ knee injury as a “slight” meniscus tear, but is there anything “slight” when you’re 39-years-old and are already pretty brittle to begin with? The plan now: cortisone shot and some rest, but if that doesn’t work surgery is likely, which will put Jones out for a few weeks.
Remember that stuff I wrote this morning about future Hall of Famers as key players on a contending team? Well, Jones is another one. Unlike the guys up in New York, however, Jones has continued to be a key contributor to the Braves this year, hitting .275/.366/.465 and leading the team with 27 RBI. His loss will be felt if he does, indeed, need surgery.
For now the plan will be to either move Martin Prado to third and have Eric Hinske cover left field (my preference) or have Brooks Conrad take over for Jones at third (opposing hitters’ preference). I’m guessing Fredi Gonzalez would go with the former. Though really, if there is an extended Jones-absence, Atlanta will have to pick up a left fielder or a third baseman, methinks.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)