Derrek Lee pulled from Monday’s game with strained oblique

May 16, 2011, 9:36 PM EDT

Baltimore Orioles v Tampa Bay Rays Getty Images

The oblique epidemic has claimed yet another victim.

Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that Derrek Lee was pulled from Monday’s game against the Red Sox with a strained left oblique. He was replaced at first base by Jake Fox in the bottom of the third inning after going 1-for-2 with an RBI double.

Lee, who signed a one-year, $7.25 million contract over the winter, is batting just .231/.311/.346 with four home runs, 14 RBI and a .657 OPS over his first 177 plate appearances this season.

If Lee needs a trip to the disabled list, which is often the case with these type of injuries, it’s possible that the Orioles could put Luke Scott at first base in order to rest his right shoulder while giving Felix Pie regular duty in left field.

1. fthrvic - May 16, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Shocking

2. purdueman - May 17, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Ah yes…. the old “strained oblique” excuse to get at least a 15 day paid vacation on the old DL list. The “new” fad injury of the day! Lee’s a pussy anyways; no surprise here!

• Reflex - May 17, 2011 at 3:55 AM

Having known fitness nuts who have had this injury, your full of shit. Plus it dosen’t even make logical sense, a lot of the guys going down with this are guys who have something to prove this season if they want another contract next year, Lee included.

• purdueman - May 17, 2011 at 6:36 AM

Lee’s a slacker who’s lived high off the hog off of the reputation that he earned while being a still young and hungry player with the Marlins back in the day. EVERYONE who follows Lee knows that he didn’t want to go to the American League, much less to a bottom feeder like Baltimore.

Put two and two together and you get a 15 day paid vacation to the DL; even someone who apparently hangs out with muscleheads should be able to see that!

• Reflex - May 17, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Yes, in my job as a software engineer I hang out with ‘muscle heads’ as opposed to knowing a few people into fitness who can attest that oblique injuries suck and restrict movement, such as you know, swinging a bat effectively.

You are a douche, your comments generally prove it, and you like to speak poorly about people you don’t know doing jobs you could never qualify for. Lee worked his ass off in Chicago, often played hurt and was effective when healthy. Whether or not he wanted to go to Baltimore is irrelevant, if he wants more than a one year deal(AL or NL) he has to perform well this season and prove he can stay healthy. DL stints help neither case.

• purdueman - May 17, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Reflex, if I’m a “douche”, that would make you the tampon that precedes me. You’re such a classy guy! (NOT!)

Lee took the last couple of years off in Chicago and lived off of his Marlins reputation. I see plenty of Cub games (even though I’m not, and would rather have needles stuck in my eyes than to be one), and Lee (especially last season), was the consummate slacker.

You have your opinion and I have mine; let’s leave it at that and move on.

• Reflex - May 17, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Yes, and mine is based on objective reality and yours is based on some weird hatred of Derrek Lee. I get that your a White Sox fan who hates the Cubs. I’m no Cubs fan either. But bashing Lee for no apparant reason is idiotic.

And the reason you got called a ‘douche’ is because you called Lee a ‘pussy’. If your going to use language like that against someone you don’t even know who works a hell of a lot harder than you every day, you deserve whatever names come your way. You have a lot of gall deciding who is ‘classy’ around here given the typical content of your comments on this blog.

• purdueman - May 17, 2011 at 2:48 PM

reflex… who named you this boards moderator? As far as I know, no one! If you don’t like my posts, find another forum… there are hundreds of them out there you know. Try using google to find them.

I could care less about Lee one way or the other. After all, he’s not a Cub anymore (in case you hadn’t noticed). What I don’t like about Lee is how the media gave him a hall pass the last couple of years even though his fielding showed indifference at best. Just because the guy won a gold glove back in the day has no bearing on the player he is today, or Willie Mays would have won a gold glove in his final year as a Met.

• Reflex - May 17, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Right back atcha buddy! If you can’t handle being called out when your acting like a jackass, you can go wander off elsewhere. Because I will call you out, and you’ll just have to deal with it. You are on the same list as Halladaybiceps, dirtyharry, frankzappa and chrisny3. Enjoy!

• purdueman - May 17, 2011 at 9:05 PM

reflex… I’m ROFLMAO at your obvious immaturity! Sonny boy, on your best day you couldn’t call me out. No please, find another forum before your Mom comes downstairs into your room in the basement and revokes your internet privileges! Loser.

• Reflex - May 18, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Yes, lessons on maturity from a guy who starts his posting by calling another adult a ‘pussy’.

• purdueman - May 18, 2011 at 12:20 AM

reflux… tell us truthfully…. how old are you? 17? 18?

Time to grow up, sonny boy!

• wlschneider09 - May 17, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Yeah, the batting title, the gold gloves, the silver slugger award. He was a real loser as a cub. I guess that whole broken wrist in 2006 (the only time Lee missed signifcant numbers of games) was just an excuse to stay home too.

• purdueman - May 17, 2011 at 1:47 PM

wis… go back an READ my post. I said that Lee took the last TWO years off, not the entire time that he was a Cub.

• Reflex - May 17, 2011 at 2:23 PM

2009/2010: .283/.370/.502, 54HR

I wish we could all have ‘off years’ like those. 2009 was his second best season in a Cubs uniform, btw. And got him 9th in the MVP voting.

Do you even look things up before you spew your bullshit?

• purdueman - May 17, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Reflex… you clearly come off as being a bitter Cub fan. Well, after 102 consecutive years in a row as being the “Lovable Losers”, I can understand your frustration, but if Lee was so good his last couple of years with the club, given their lofty payrolls those years why didn’t he lead the Cubs to the world series?

The problem with stats is that you can bend and twist them to support virtually any argument that you wish to make, but fortunately the games aren’t played roto-league style on paper. Regardless of his fielding percentage, Lee was a slacker in the field the last two years he was with the Cubs. Why do you think that the Cubs dumped him and then didn’t make any effort to resign him? (answer: because they realized he was no longer worth the money).

• Reflex - May 17, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Its funny how you make assumptions about my team loyalties. I’ve been to Chicago twice in my life, just driving through. I live in Seattle. I have NO team loyalties although the M’s were fun to watch in 2001. I like a good ballgame. And I’ve given this history lesson several times to people who assume that just because I call a jackass out it means that I’m a fan of .

Don’t care about the Cubs. Don’t even paticularly like them. Just another team that tried to buy a championship ala the Orioles and countless others, and failed. But that dosen’t mean that Lee or anyone else was a ‘pussy’. You can complain about his stats being twisted all you want but at the end of the day he was a top 5 or 6 first baseman for most of his time in the game, with the exception of his wrist injury which sapped his power for a few years.

He’s clearly in decline now. Most guys go into decline in their mid-30′s, and what do ya know, Lee is 34. Should be expected. Instead of recognizing the pattern, jackasses like you call them names like ‘pussy’ when you couldn’t even dream of keeping up with his workouts. He gave the Cubs the best he could, he gave the Marlins the best he could, and he gave the Braves the best he could, and he likely is giving the Orioles the best he can. Unfortunatly for him, he’s getting old and is clearly in decline, like the overwhelming majority of players who get to his age.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet