May 16, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Praise be to Rob McKenna, La Nina or the deity of your choice, but there have been a lot of rainouts this year. Three yesterday, which brings the total to 25, which is a pretty incredible number. As Maury notes, there were only eight through this point last season. 2007 was the record year for the past decade, and we’re pretty close to the pace we were on that year.
While there’s always some built-in room for rain in the baseball schedule, we’re going to get to the point pretty soon, if we’re not there already, where this is going to have some competitive impacts, with teams losing offdays, having to make crazy travel arrangements and otherwise getting their pitching staff worn out due to the makeups.
Which is just part of baseball, I suppose. And much preferable to games played indoors.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 8
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 49
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 108
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (84)