May 16, 2011, 5:50 PM EDT
Here’s a good way to tell that Tony La Russa is back in the saddle: following a bad weekend, the Tinker-a-tron has been set to “ludicrous” and Albert Pujols is starting at third base.
Now, of course Pujols came up as a third baseman for the Cardinals — and he did get one sub-in there late in a game against the Braves a couple of weeks ago — but he hasn’t actually started a game at third base since 2002. He has, however, been taking infield practice at third a lot recently, so the move is not a total shocker, even if it is still as unorthodox as all get-out.
No word on whether this was inspired by Tony La Russa’s fantasy baseball needs.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 103
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8