May 16, 2011, 5:50 PM EST
Here’s a good way to tell that Tony La Russa is back in the saddle: following a bad weekend, the Tinker-a-tron has been set to “ludicrous” and Albert Pujols is starting at third base.
Now, of course Pujols came up as a third baseman for the Cardinals — and he did get one sub-in there late in a game against the Braves a couple of weeks ago — but he hasn’t actually started a game at third base since 2002. He has, however, been taking infield practice at third a lot recently, so the move is not a total shocker, even if it is still as unorthodox as all get-out.
No word on whether this was inspired by Tony La Russa’s fantasy baseball needs.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)