May 16, 2011, 5:50 PM EDT
Here’s a good way to tell that Tony La Russa is back in the saddle: following a bad weekend, the Tinker-a-tron has been set to “ludicrous” and Albert Pujols is starting at third base.
Now, of course Pujols came up as a third baseman for the Cardinals — and he did get one sub-in there late in a game against the Braves a couple of weeks ago — but he hasn’t actually started a game at third base since 2002. He has, however, been taking infield practice at third a lot recently, so the move is not a total shocker, even if it is still as unorthodox as all get-out.
No word on whether this was inspired by Tony La Russa’s fantasy baseball needs.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 228
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (228)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (103)