Jose Bautista has 64 homers in his last 162 games and no one else has more than 42

May 16, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT

Jose Bautista

After destroying the Twins over the weekend Jose Bautista has an MLB-high 16 homers this season and also leads the AL in batting average, on-base percentage, slugging percentage, OPS, runs, total bases, and walks.

People keep expecting him to turn back into a pumpkin and Bautista keeps performing even better.

In fact, dating back to May of last season Bautista now has 64 home runs in his last 162 games, hitting .291 with a .400 on-base percentage, .700 slugging percentage, 119 walks, and 131 RBIs in one full season’s worth of playing time.

Here are the MLB leaders during that same span:

HOMERS                      RBIs                         SLUGGING
JOSE BAUTISTA     64        JOSE BAUTISTA     131        JOSE BAUTISTA     .700
Albert Pujols     42        Alex Rodriguez    129        Josh Hamilton     .646
Mark Teixeira     40        Miguel Cabrera    123        Joey Votto        .603
Miguel Cabrera    38        Ryan Howard       123        Miguel Cabrera    .596
Prince Fielder    38        Joey Votto        120        Troy Tulowitzki   .590

To lead baseball in homers with 64 when no one else has more than 42 is amazing enough, but to do that while also leading baseball in walks is remarkable. Bautista has homered once every 8.9 at-bats, which would rank ninth all time on the single-season leaderboard behind a bunch of years from Babe Ruth, Barry Bonds, and Mark McGwire.

And his dominance actually stretches further back than 162 games. Dating back to September 5, 2009 he’s hit .278/.398/.659 with 80 homers in 220 games. Albert Pujols ranks second with 53 homers during that time.

1. cur68 - May 16, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Uh? What happened? Did I get nailed by a pitch or did the 3 comments that were here get deleted? Was it something I said?

2. ryanmallettsbluntwrap - May 16, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Every page that says something about Jose i see cur68 on , we know hes the best player in baseball right now , hop of his weiner already , the guys a machine , we know .

• cur68 - May 16, 2011 at 1:28 PM

So what are you, his mom? I like the guy; he’s the best player on his team, maybe in baseball & up to the last year and a half no one even heard of him. I’ve been watching him play for 3 years now and seen this coming so I feel like I knew something you didn’t. Feel very free to ignore all I write about him. Feel very free to ignore me and stay off my wiener, too. I’d appreciate it. In fact allow me to start by paying you that favor from here out.
      Cheers.

3. spudchukar - May 16, 2011 at 1:06 PM

He was such an easy steal at #2 in fantasyland.

4. The Dangerous Mabry - May 16, 2011 at 1:21 PM

One great effect of situations like this is they show us that maybe, just maybe, everyone hollering about PEDs in the past were overstating the case. Let’s assume (and I’ve no reason to believe otherwise) that Bautista’s a clean ballplayer. Doesn’t that mean it’s possible that someone like Brady Anderson was a clean ballplayer? Or even if players with that sort of trajectory were using substances of some kind, that maybe the substance wasn’t wholly responsible for their dramatic improvement in a short period of time? If a clean player can experience such a meteoric rise after several years of kicking around in relative obscurity, doesn’t that mean that a “dirty” player could as well, and that the effect could largely be based on their own merits, hard work, and yes, good fortune?

I don’t want to take anything away from what Bautista’s doing, and everyone should enjoy it because it’s great baseball, so don’t let me distract people from that. I’m just saying that when players have made this kind of progress at any time, it should have been something to celebrate, just as it is now.

• girlygirlsoxfan - May 16, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Or maybe, just maybe, he’s figured out a way to beat the test . . . . . .

5. Chris Fiorentino - May 16, 2011 at 1:52 PM

I sarcastically asked “Why is Bautista getting to do ALL the Steroids?” and it got lost in the internets I guess…

6. ryanmallettsbluntwrap - May 16, 2011 at 2:03 PM

I guess i will leave you and your man crush alone for now . Best of luck to the two of you .

7. crashdavis99 - May 16, 2011 at 4:03 PM