May 16, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
After destroying the Twins over the weekend Jose Bautista has an MLB-high 16 homers this season and also leads the AL in batting average, on-base percentage, slugging percentage, OPS, runs, total bases, and walks.
People keep expecting him to turn back into a pumpkin and Bautista keeps performing even better.
In fact, dating back to May of last season Bautista now has 64 home runs in his last 162 games, hitting .291 with a .400 on-base percentage, .700 slugging percentage, 119 walks, and 131 RBIs in one full season’s worth of playing time.
Here are the MLB leaders during that same span:
HOMERS RBIs SLUGGING JOSE BAUTISTA 64 JOSE BAUTISTA 131 JOSE BAUTISTA .700 Albert Pujols 42 Alex Rodriguez 129 Josh Hamilton .646 Mark Teixeira 40 Miguel Cabrera 123 Joey Votto .603 Miguel Cabrera 38 Ryan Howard 123 Miguel Cabrera .596 Prince Fielder 38 Joey Votto 120 Troy Tulowitzki .590
To lead baseball in homers with 64 when no one else has more than 42 is amazing enough, but to do that while also leading baseball in walks is remarkable. Bautista has homered once every 8.9 at-bats, which would rank ninth all time on the single-season leaderboard behind a bunch of years from Babe Ruth, Barry Bonds, and Mark McGwire.
And his dominance actually stretches further back than 162 games. Dating back to September 5, 2009 he’s hit .278/.398/.659 with 80 homers in 220 games. Albert Pujols ranks second with 53 homers during that time.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 3
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 1
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)