May 16, 2011, 5:58 PM EDT
Rafael Soriano won’t be facing his old teammates in a two-game series that begins tonight, as the reliever’s elbow soreness will keep him unavailable against the Rays.
Soriano walked two in a scoreless inning Friday for his only action since May 8, but told Bryan Hoch of MLB.com that he’s hoping to throw a problem-free bullpen session today and be cleared to return Wednesday.
Joe Girardi suggested that Soriano’s current soreness is “because he hadn’t thrown in five days” rather than his previous elbow problems remaining an issue. Soriano has recovered from a terrible first two weeks with the Yankees to allow just three runs in his last 10 appearances, reducing his ERA from 8.10 to 5.40, but the $35 million free agent signing certainly isn’t off to a great start in New York.
UPDATE: Marc Carig of the Newark Star Ledger reports that Soriano “felt stiffness again during his bullpen” session today, so it looks like a Wednesday return is probably optimistic.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 4
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 36
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL