May 16, 2011, 7:31 PM EDT
With his ERA up to 8.01 after he gave up nine runs in a third straight loss Wednesday, John Lackey was placed on the disabled list Monday due to what the Red Sox are calling a strained right elbow.
Reliever Scott Atchison was called up to take his place.
The Red Sox didn’t immediately announce who would start in Lackey’s place Tuesday against the Orioles, but it figures to be knuckleballer Tim Wakefield. He hasn’t pitched since working in relief during Lackey’s last start, so he’s all ready to go.
As noted last week, Lackey is dealing with some major off-field issues at the moment. The Red Sox might just be placing him on the DL so that he can get out of the spotlight and go down to the minors to work on the mechnical adjustment he made in a bullpen session over the weekend.
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 4
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (103)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)