May 16, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
Carlos Ruiz caught Roy Oswalt‘s rehab start Thursday at Single-A and said his fastball “had no life,” but the Phillies have activated Oswalt from the disabled list anyway and he’ll face the Cardinals tomorrow.
Oswalt hasn’t pitched for the Phillies since struggling against the Diamondbacks on April 26, taking a leave of absence from the team to be with his family following tornadoes in Mississippi and then going on the DL with back problems.
His return bumps Vance Worley back to Triple-A, where he’ll no doubt stay stretched out in case he’s needed as a rotation fill-in again soon. That also means Kyle Kendrick would likely get the nod if Oswalt is a late scratch tomorrow.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12