May 16, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
Carlos Ruiz caught Roy Oswalt‘s rehab start Thursday at Single-A and said his fastball “had no life,” but the Phillies have activated Oswalt from the disabled list anyway and he’ll face the Cardinals tomorrow.
Oswalt hasn’t pitched for the Phillies since struggling against the Diamondbacks on April 26, taking a leave of absence from the team to be with his family following tornadoes in Mississippi and then going on the DL with back problems.
His return bumps Vance Worley back to Triple-A, where he’ll no doubt stay stretched out in case he’s needed as a rotation fill-in again soon. That also means Kyle Kendrick would likely get the nod if Oswalt is a late scratch tomorrow.
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 1
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 38
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 40
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 16
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72