May 16, 2011, 1:03 PM EDT
All last week, as the reports of Jim Crane’s imminent purchase of the Houston Astros came in, current owner Drayton McLane kept saying that the lawyers had to dot I’s and cross T’s, and that there were “a lot of details for the lawyers to work on.” Seems that McLane made his lawyers work over the weekend, because there will be a press conference this afternoon officially announcing the sale of the team to Crane.
As we speak, Crane is likely watching video of the McCourts’ introductory press conference after bought the Dodgers to make sure that he says absolutely nothing like they did whatsoever.
For Astros fans, here’s an interesting look at some of the other faces and wallets in the Astros’ new ownership group. And, more interesting than that: 10 things you don’t know about Jim Crane. Both of those links come courtesy of Richard Justice, who is mad-Tweetin’ this afternoon.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 0
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 43
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 86
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)