The Yankees and Derek Jeter are cool over PosadaPocalypse

May 16, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT

New York Yankees v Texas Rangers, Game 6 Getty Images

Mark Feinsand of the Daily News tweeted a few minutes ago that the Yankees have spoken with Derek JeterBuster Olney says it was a conference call — and that, whatever anger was felt by the Yankees front office as a result of Jeter’s comments, things are cool now and everyone can presumably go on with their lives.

It’s unclear whether everything being fine means (a) the Yankees’ have calmed down and gotten some perspective; (b) the Yankees haven’t really calmed down but realized that they needed to nip this all in the bud; or (c) their alleged anger at his comments was overblown in the first place.  It’s also unclear whether that matters. This is New York, after all.

For what it’s worth, I think this tweet by Yankeechick78 raises a good point:

I can’t believe Jorge Posada has gotten more crap for asking out of the lineup than Miguel Cabrera for driving drunk.

We certainly have a varying scale of whatever the outrage du jour happens to be, don’t we?

1. frankvzappa - May 16, 2011 at 4:06 PM

thats because being drunk is an accepted excuse for acting like an ass…in germany you are allowed to piss on the streets, but only if you are drunk

• thehypercritic - May 16, 2011 at 4:16 PM

wonderful reference, because urinating in public is exactly the same as making the willful decision to endanger the lives of other human beings.

2. uyf1950 - May 16, 2011 at 4:09 PM

There is a saying “I have forgiven, but not forgotten”. Don’t be surprised if that’s exactly the way the Yankees Ownership/Management feels.

3. Jonny 5 - May 16, 2011 at 4:13 PM

It was a whole act to make Yankee fans forget about the actual games……. ;)

4. kopy - May 16, 2011 at 4:32 PM

I believe it. Miguel Cabrera plays in Detroit while Jorge Posada plays (or doesn’t play, lolz) for what too many people believe is the only team in baseball worth caring about.

5. evanhartford - May 16, 2011 at 4:33 PM

This story has really morphed into something interesting. It isn’t really about what Jorge did (or didn’t do). Its about Jeter’s power over the Yankees. You had some writers reporting that the Yankees were ready to release Posada over this situation. A day later you have Jeter siding with Posada and then a day after that you have writers reporting that the situation is all about resolved and the “air has been cleared”.

I can’t recall another player (outside of Jordan) having so much power over a Franchise.

• kopy - May 16, 2011 at 4:39 PM

I agree. I think we saw evidence of this with his new contract this past off-season. It’s pretty rare to strong-arm your employer into paying you for work that you were already paid to do.

6. IdahoMariner - May 16, 2011 at 4:33 PM

all I could think was “damn, I would be screwed if I couldn’t use one of my vacation or sick days to just take a day and recharge so I don’t burnout.” Hard to feel sorry for them based on the money they make — but seriously? All this press over saying “I’ve kicked ass for you for years, but I am not feeling it today; can I go take a time out?” Yankeechick is right — I was offended at the tepid reaction to Cabrera’s dangerous, criminal behavior at the time, and am more so now. The New York media — and the Yankees’ front office — sorely lacks perspective.

7. aceshigh11 - May 16, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Move over, Andy Richter…

Derek Jeter Controls the (Yankee) Universe.

8. 1historian - May 16, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Jeter’s best years are way in rear view mirror, and if the Yankees were dumb enough to give him $17,000,000 a year for the next 3 that’s their problem. This is just the beginning, and that’s kind of sad because he used to be someone I admired. He was a Yankee, of course, but he couldn’t really help that and I, a noble person, didn’t hold that against him.

• evanhartford - May 17, 2011 at 8:33 AM

I think you’re forgetting that baseball is a business first, sport second. Jeter has sold more jerseys, merchandise and seats than all of the Yankees of the 20th century combined. He may be relatively close to retirement, but don’t discount his ENORMOUS worth to the Yankees.

• 1historian - May 17, 2011 at 1:16 PM

I’m NOT forgetting that. This is what baseball is as compared to what it used to be.

(Harmon Killebrew died today – HE is the kind of person I admire.)

Your statement – “Jeter has sold more jerseys, merchandise and seats than all of the Yankees of the 20th century combined.” That’s an awfully strong statement – what are your sources for it?

Players make all the money they can – that’s as it should be. But there is a downside to that and that is what we are witnessing now with Jeter and Posada – players who were once at or near the top of their professions who are – in my opinion – hanging on for as long as they can because of the money.

• bobwsc - May 17, 2011 at 2:31 PM

especially in Boston where ‘A-Rod sucks, Jeter swallows’ shirts are everywhere.

9. bobfontaine - May 16, 2011 at 11:26 PM

PosadaPocalypse?

“The Posada Adventure” was a better moviethat this shipwreck!

10. pisano - May 17, 2011 at 12:49 AM

Posada and Jeter should both be sent packing. Luckily Posada will be gone one way or the other this season whether they cut him or carry him til the end of the season. Jeter is the bigger problem, what are they going to do with him for the two years after this one? They really backed themselves into a corner with Jeter.

11. deathmonkey41 - May 17, 2011 at 9:15 AM

The more important issue is when are they going to cut Andruw Jones? I can’t believe the Yankees are wasting a roster spot and money on this fool. I don’t know how many more times I can see him strike out looking and walking away with that stupid smile on his face. Can’t we bring up someone from the minors that would match or exceed his incredible lack of production so far?

• pisano - May 17, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I agree with you 100% I posted a few days ago that they wouldn’t resign Marcus Thames because they didn’t like his fielding, but they sign this loser who can’t hit. Thames ripped lefthanded pitching, the only thing Jones can rip is a fart.

12. 1historian - May 17, 2011 at 1:19 PM

If there is some genius out there getting ready to ask me if I would walk away from 3 years @ $17,000,000 per, the answer is

Make me an offer