Tony La Russa returns to Cardinals after six-game absence

May 16, 2011, 4:16 PM EDT

St. Louis Cardinals v Arizona Diamondbacks Getty Images

UPDATE: As expected, Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that Tony La Russa has rejoined the Cardinals and will manage tonight’s game.

==========

Drew wrote yesterday about how Tony La Russa is feeling better after leaving the Cardinals to have his shingles treated and now Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that La Russa ” is expected to return to the dugout for tonight’s series opener against the Phillies.”

La Russa has missed six games while being examined at the Mayo Clinic in Arizona, but general manager John Mozeliak told Strauss that the manager could be cleared to return today: “The condition isn’t going to progress. It’s more about what Tony can tolerate.”

Strauss writes that La Russa has been in constant contact with fill-in manager Joe Pettini and felt good enough to tape radio and television shows yesterday. In his absence the Cardinals are 2-4, including a three-game sweep at the hands of the Reds.

1. spudchukar - May 16, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Great to have you back. Contrary to many who post here, you are the best.

Also, here we have a 66 year old, who has fought through pain that ranks with root canal, giving birth (so I here), and bamboo shoots under the fingernails, while our 24 year old phenom sits cause his tummy hurts.

What is the antithesis of “scrappy”?-Colby Rasmus, and such a shame it is cause if he were he could be one of the game’s superstars.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - May 16, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Why the Rasmus hating? I’m fairly sure that it was more than “tummy” issues. It’s sounds like it could be more serious (yet another MLB oblique strain), but if not, shouldn’t you be happy about that? He is having a strong start, but I think expectations are too high for him. He’s damn good, but I don’t see him breaking out to be a true “phenom” ever. We shall see, I guess (and I hope I’m wrong b/c he’s on my fantasy roster at the moment).

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - May 16, 2011 at 4:58 PM

…and he’s out again today with “muscle strain to the rib-cage area”….awesome. I smell a DL stint and another oblique strain.

• spudchukar - May 16, 2011 at 5:07 PM

He is also on almost all of my fantasy teams. I do not hate him he is one of my favorites, but what is more frustrating than seeing awesome talent not utilized. Rage against the “scrappy” if you will, and while often justified, they do tend to maximize their talents. I know effort, aggressiveness, and desire are talents too. I just want somebody to light a fire under Rasmus. According to the news out of the Cardinals as of 4:42 when I posted it was confirmed that this was not a “muscle issue” merely an often reoccurring upset stomach.

2. okwhitefalcon - May 16, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Holy crap, just saw TLR on a pregame piece, dude looked like he was seriously hurting.

Like or not, there’s no denying he’s one tough SOB..

3. cur68 - May 16, 2011 at 8:02 PM

I wish TLR well, I really do; he’s one of the great baseball managers of all time IMO. But I think this is a bad idea coming back so soon. Stress exacerbates neural pain, especially neural pain from shingles. Being a baseball manager is real stressful. He should give things a miss for another week or two because a flare up of symptoms could be dangerous to his vision. Don’t do it Tony! Go on the 15 day DL for managers; its not worth the pain to be there man!

Three legends off to Cooperstown