May 16, 2011, 1:20 PM EDT
In the decade since Ron Gardenhire took over as manager the Twins have won six division titles, compiled an 815-682 (.544) record, and finished below .500 just once, when they were 79-83. And they’ve never been sellers at the trade deadline.
There’s still a chance to avoid that fate again this season, but time is quickly running out with an MLB-worst 12-26 record and an MLB-high 12.5-game deficit in the division. They’re on pace to go 51-111.
Unfortunately they don’t have a ton of valuable players to shop. I won’t bore everyone here with all the details, because I realize there’s only so much Twins stuff you guys can stomach, but in breaking down the various possibilities I think Jason Kubel, Matt Capps, Francisco Liriano, Delmon Young, and Kevin Slowey are the most appealing pieces that realistically may be moved.
Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau are likely untradeable on several different levels and everyone else is young and cheap enough to be part of the Twins’ plans or just not all that valuable in the first place. Strange times in Minnesota.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 5
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 4
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 21
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car