May 16, 2011, 1:20 PM EDT
In the decade since Ron Gardenhire took over as manager the Twins have won six division titles, compiled an 815-682 (.544) record, and finished below .500 just once, when they were 79-83. And they’ve never been sellers at the trade deadline.
There’s still a chance to avoid that fate again this season, but time is quickly running out with an MLB-worst 12-26 record and an MLB-high 12.5-game deficit in the division. They’re on pace to go 51-111.
Unfortunately they don’t have a ton of valuable players to shop. I won’t bore everyone here with all the details, because I realize there’s only so much Twins stuff you guys can stomach, but in breaking down the various possibilities I think Jason Kubel, Matt Capps, Francisco Liriano, Delmon Young, and Kevin Slowey are the most appealing pieces that realistically may be moved.
Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau are likely untradeable on several different levels and everyone else is young and cheap enough to be part of the Twins’ plans or just not all that valuable in the first place. Strange times in Minnesota.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 240
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (240)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)