May 16, 2011, 1:40 PM EST
This is from Friday — found via Baseball Think Factory — but apparently Ron Santo’s FBI file has been released. FBI file? For Santo? Yep: he had some death threats in the early 70s. USA Today has the details of the threat letters and the investigation.
All I can do is sit here and wonder what in the heck someone as unassuming as Ron Santo could do to inspire death threats. Even the deranged, one thinks, would be attracted to a different, more provocative target. Joe Pepitone played on those teams, for example. I can totally see Joe Pepitone getting under someone’s skin. But Santo?
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)