May 16, 2011, 1:40 PM EDT
This is from Friday — found via Baseball Think Factory — but apparently Ron Santo’s FBI file has been released. FBI file? For Santo? Yep: he had some death threats in the early 70s. USA Today has the details of the threat letters and the investigation.
All I can do is sit here and wonder what in the heck someone as unassuming as Ron Santo could do to inspire death threats. Even the deranged, one thinks, would be attracted to a different, more provocative target. Joe Pepitone played on those teams, for example. I can totally see Joe Pepitone getting under someone’s skin. But Santo?
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 15
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 16
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 14
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 36
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 44
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)