May 16, 2011, 1:40 PM EDT
This is from Friday — found via Baseball Think Factory — but apparently Ron Santo’s FBI file has been released. FBI file? For Santo? Yep: he had some death threats in the early 70s. USA Today has the details of the threat letters and the investigation.
All I can do is sit here and wonder what in the heck someone as unassuming as Ron Santo could do to inspire death threats. Even the deranged, one thinks, would be attracted to a different, more provocative target. Joe Pepitone played on those teams, for example. I can totally see Joe Pepitone getting under someone’s skin. But Santo?
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 7
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)