May 16, 2011, 3:40 PM EDT
The Pirates and Nationals have released their lineups for Monday’s much-anticipated matchup in Washington, and those fortunate enough to be there will have the pleasure of seeing Matt Diaz and Wilson Ramos cleaning up for their teams.
It should be an epic showdown. One-quarter of the way through the season, Diaz is hitting .239/.260/.310 with no homers and five RBI in 71 at-bats. Like a true No. 4 hitter, though, he always makes an effort to bring in those baserunners: he’s walked just one time all year.
In the grand tradition of Mike Piazza and Buster Posey, Ramos is one of the very few rookie catchers to serve as a cleanup man. He’s outslugged Diaz with a .267/.333/.419 line, and he has two homers and seven RBI in his 86 at-bats this season. Of course, he is off to a 4-for-33 start this month, but that probably just means he’s due.
So forget about the Yankees-Rays and Phillies-Cardinals. Watch the titans face off in D.C. tonight. You won’t regret it.
- Ryne Sandberg opines on baseball’s steroid era 19
- Watch David Wells’ perfect game from 15 years ago today 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 61
- Army Lt. Col. surprises daughter on ceremonial first pitch 34
- Bryce Harper in Nationals’ lineup for first time since crashing into right field wall 8
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness