May 16, 2011, 3:40 PM EDT
The Pirates and Nationals have released their lineups for Monday’s much-anticipated matchup in Washington, and those fortunate enough to be there will have the pleasure of seeing Matt Diaz and Wilson Ramos cleaning up for their teams.
It should be an epic showdown. One-quarter of the way through the season, Diaz is hitting .239/.260/.310 with no homers and five RBI in 71 at-bats. Like a true No. 4 hitter, though, he always makes an effort to bring in those baserunners: he’s walked just one time all year.
In the grand tradition of Mike Piazza and Buster Posey, Ramos is one of the very few rookie catchers to serve as a cleanup man. He’s outslugged Diaz with a .267/.333/.419 line, and he has two homers and seven RBI in his 86 at-bats this season. Of course, he is off to a 4-for-33 start this month, but that probably just means he’s due.
So forget about the Yankees-Rays and Phillies-Cardinals. Watch the titans face off in D.C. tonight. You won’t regret it.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17