A boy meets Harmon Killebrew

May 17, 2011, 3:04 PM EDT

Harmon Killebrew

Today there are a lot of Harmon Killebrew stories floating around.  Most of them involve an interview with the guy or meeting him in spring training sometime in the past few years.  Jim Salisbury of CSN Philly has one that goes a little further back. To age 9, when he got an autograph outside the visitor’s clubhouse at Fenway Park:

The third man in the group was stocky and balding and his temples were gray. When you’re 9, you have a terrible concept of age. You think of anyone who doesn’t go out for Halloween anymore as old. With that, I must confess I thought the balding man was the trainer. But trying to be polite, I asked him if he’d sign as well.

The man was gracious and completely untroubled. He smiled and said he’d be happy to sign my ball.

It sure as hell wasn’t Cesar Tovar.

Great read.

1. sknut - May 17, 2011 at 3:43 PM

My favorite thing about Killer is that he took signing autographs seriously. He has told Mauer, Hunter and numerous other Twins to write so they can see it and appreciate it. I wonder what Mr. Salisbury would think if he couldn’t make out the signature.

2. hank10 - May 17, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Salisbury’s article should be posted in every locker room and be required reading for all players, no matter the sport. Players need to be reminded that if it weren’t for the fans who make pro sports possible, they would be working a 9-5 job somewhere. As the old adage goes, ‘A little kindness goes a long way.’

RIP, Killer.

3. kopy - May 17, 2011 at 3:48 PM

It seems like everybody has a personal story about how great of a guy Harmon Killebrew was, and there’s a reason for that.

4. kander013 - May 17, 2011 at 3:53 PM

A wonderful story-as a Twins fan in his 20s, it brings me back to my youth and spring breaks in Fort Myers at spring training. I’ll never forget the joy of meeting Brian Harper and Kirby Puckett. Harper because I loved catchers and Kirby because he’s Kirby. These are reasons why baseball may no longer be our most popular sport, but will always be our national pastime.

5. marshmallowsnake - May 17, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Wow, what a great story. It seems like Mr. Killebrew was the real deal! I wish more athletes today would model themselves after him, instead of the way things tend to be these days…

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3628)