May 17, 2011, 1:35 PM EDT
Orioles’ pitcher Alfredo Simon had been released from prison and allowed to come to the United States to pitch, but he’s not out of the woods in connection with the New Year’s Eve shooting death of Michael Castillo. To the contrary: he’s going to trial.
That was the determination at a preliminary hearing today. No trial date was set, though the article suggests that it usually takes about two months between the sort of hearing that occurred today and trial. In the meantime, Simon is free to come back to the U.S. where he will continue starting for the Orioles’ AA affiliate.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 9
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 16
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)