An unnecessary rainout in Washington today

May 17, 2011, 4:00 PM EST

Sunny Skies

The Pirates and Nationals were supposed to play the second game of their two-game series this afternoon with a 1pm start.  Except someone looked at the forecast, saw a chance for thunderstorms — a good chance, to be fair — and cancelled the game.  Cancelled early, too, as the postponement came down before 10AM.

And, according to my correspondents, it was sunny in Washington — or at least not raining — until at least 20 minutes ago, which would have all but certainly allowed the Nats and Buccos to get the game in.

I supposed you catch hell either way: if you try to play and it rains someone gets on you for ignoring a foreboding forecast.  If you cancel and it doesn’t, well, you have everyone wondering why you didn’t wait for the rain to actually starts.

Either way, I can’t blame the weatherman.  My old man was one for 40 years, and that just wouldn’t be right.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - May 17, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Any chance your Pops carried a bow and quiver of arrows around with him on the street?

• scatterbrian - May 17, 2011 at 4:45 PM

I had heard people like him because he is polite and rarely late, and that he likes to eat ice cream and really enjoys a nice pair of slacks.

2. volcom2143 - May 17, 2011 at 4:14 PM

A Weatherman is about the only job you can consistently Be wrong and not get fired . I got into the wrong profession …

• rebarratige - May 17, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Weathermen and economists.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 17, 2011 at 4:40 PM

And left-handed relievers, and Jorge Posada, and Drayton McClane…maybe it is not that rare of a feat after all.

• Craig Calcaterra - May 17, 2011 at 4:16 PM

My dad always used to say that!

• Pierre Cruzatte - May 17, 2011 at 6:54 PM

But alas: “In baseball, even the best hitters fail seven times out of ten.”

(I guess Poz took that cliche to the woodshed (http://goo.gl/3Uzzp), but, you know, still.)

3. kopy - May 17, 2011 at 4:23 PM

There has already been a massive amount of games postponed due to rain this year. I’m surprised the league is erring on the side of caution when teams are slowly running out of logical make-up dates.

4. kellyb9 - May 17, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Pirates/Nats… Sounds like a tree falling in the forest conundrum. I mean, it’s entirely possible the game was played and nobody showed up.

5. markfrednubble - May 17, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Anyone consider that a makeup game played on a summer evening might produce a much better gate for the Nationals than today’s May weekday dud would have? I wouldn’t be surprised if you looked at the open dates on each team’s schedules, you’d find such a date and that might be a big reason for today’s early decision.

6. ravensos - May 17, 2011 at 11:58 PM

It was also Fox 5 eather day. Weathermen Tony Perkins and Tucker Barnes were there to explain how weather effects the game to school children.

1. M. Upton (2394)