May 17, 2011, 7:30 PM EST
Cashner has been rehabbing from a mild strain in the back of his rotator cuff originally suffered during his first start of the season back on April 5.
According to Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com, the 24-year-old right-hander will now be shut down for the next several weeks before beginning his throwing program from scratch.
“I feel real bad for him,” general manager Jim Hendry said. “He worked real hard and his rehab had gone really well up to this point. Obviously the main goal will be to continue to get it right so he can continue to have a bright future. It’s unfortunate.”
While there’s no clear timetable for his return, Cashner is obviously a longshot to contribute before the second half of the season.
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 4
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Jonson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 85
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 101
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 48
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)