May 17, 2011, 7:30 PM EST
Cashner has been rehabbing from a mild strain in the back of his rotator cuff originally suffered during his first start of the season back on April 5.
According to Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com, the 24-year-old right-hander will now be shut down for the next several weeks before beginning his throwing program from scratch.
“I feel real bad for him,” general manager Jim Hendry said. “He worked real hard and his rehab had gone really well up to this point. Obviously the main goal will be to continue to get it right so he can continue to have a bright future. It’s unfortunate.”
While there’s no clear timetable for his return, Cashner is obviously a longshot to contribute before the second half of the season.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 290
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (312)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)