May 17, 2011, 7:30 PM EST
Cashner has been rehabbing from a mild strain in the back of his rotator cuff originally suffered during his first start of the season back on April 5.
According to Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com, the 24-year-old right-hander will now be shut down for the next several weeks before beginning his throwing program from scratch.
“I feel real bad for him,” general manager Jim Hendry said. “He worked real hard and his rehab had gone really well up to this point. Obviously the main goal will be to continue to get it right so he can continue to have a bright future. It’s unfortunate.”
While there’s no clear timetable for his return, Cashner is obviously a longshot to contribute before the second half of the season.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27