May 17, 2011, 9:36 AM EDT
I gotta admit: the Jorge Posada stuff has been a hoot for me. Helps that I’m not a Yankees fan, of course, but I’m not gonna lie: great fun in the way that all off-field drama is great fun for someone tasked with blogging about baseball for living.
Which makes me a bit sad that, with their sixth straight loss last night, the focus seems to be shifting this morning from the PosadaDrama to the Yankees poor performance on the field. We can’t have that. Not yet anyway. We have all season to talk about teams performing well or performing poorly. We have to savor the little firestorms as long as possible.
So let us link to The Morning Delivery, which takes us back to April 13, 2005, when a struggling Bernie Williams was put ninth in the order by Joe Torre, the first time he had been there in a decade. You go read the post, but suffice it to say that he reacted somewhat better to it all than Posada did.
Not that I’m changing my stance on Posada. I still think this is fits the “everyone has a bad day” description and, while not Posada’s finest hour, is not something that should be held against him forever. But I do feel obligated to compare him somewhat unfavorably to Williams who, in my view, has been totally boned by not being included in that whole “Core Four” nonsense. He was more important in the more impressive part of the Yankees’ dynasty than Posada ever was and unlike Pettitte he never went anyplace.
Dude is owed a few more props than he gets.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)