May 17, 2011, 9:36 AM EDT
I gotta admit: the Jorge Posada stuff has been a hoot for me. Helps that I’m not a Yankees fan, of course, but I’m not gonna lie: great fun in the way that all off-field drama is great fun for someone tasked with blogging about baseball for living.
Which makes me a bit sad that, with their sixth straight loss last night, the focus seems to be shifting this morning from the PosadaDrama to the Yankees poor performance on the field. We can’t have that. Not yet anyway. We have all season to talk about teams performing well or performing poorly. We have to savor the little firestorms as long as possible.
So let us link to The Morning Delivery, which takes us back to April 13, 2005, when a struggling Bernie Williams was put ninth in the order by Joe Torre, the first time he had been there in a decade. You go read the post, but suffice it to say that he reacted somewhat better to it all than Posada did.
Not that I’m changing my stance on Posada. I still think this is fits the “everyone has a bad day” description and, while not Posada’s finest hour, is not something that should be held against him forever. But I do feel obligated to compare him somewhat unfavorably to Williams who, in my view, has been totally boned by not being included in that whole “Core Four” nonsense. He was more important in the more impressive part of the Yankees’ dynasty than Posada ever was and unlike Pettitte he never went anyplace.
Dude is owed a few more props than he gets.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 7
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 33
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 30
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (194)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)