May 17, 2011, 9:36 AM EST
I gotta admit: the Jorge Posada stuff has been a hoot for me. Helps that I’m not a Yankees fan, of course, but I’m not gonna lie: great fun in the way that all off-field drama is great fun for someone tasked with blogging about baseball for living.
Which makes me a bit sad that, with their sixth straight loss last night, the focus seems to be shifting this morning from the PosadaDrama to the Yankees poor performance on the field. We can’t have that. Not yet anyway. We have all season to talk about teams performing well or performing poorly. We have to savor the little firestorms as long as possible.
So let us link to The Morning Delivery, which takes us back to April 13, 2005, when a struggling Bernie Williams was put ninth in the order by Joe Torre, the first time he had been there in a decade. You go read the post, but suffice it to say that he reacted somewhat better to it all than Posada did.
Not that I’m changing my stance on Posada. I still think this is fits the “everyone has a bad day” description and, while not Posada’s finest hour, is not something that should be held against him forever. But I do feel obligated to compare him somewhat unfavorably to Williams who, in my view, has been totally boned by not being included in that whole “Core Four” nonsense. He was more important in the more impressive part of the Yankees’ dynasty than Posada ever was and unlike Pettitte he never went anyplace.
Dude is owed a few more props than he gets.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 18
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (72)