May 17, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
What a day for Brian McCann.
On an afternoon when neither the Braves nor the Astros seemed too enthused about scoring runs, McCann took the game into his own hands, hitting a solo shot with two out in the bottom of the ninth to send it into extra innings and then, a few minutes ago, hitting a two-run bomb in the bottom of the 11th to give the Braves a 3-1 win and mini-sweep of Houston in the two-game series. Best part, I neglected to add when this post first went up: he didn’t even start. Came in as a pinch hitter for that first dinger.
The homers were particularly satisfying given that Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez had his players attempt something on the order of 125 bunts in this game. Indeed, Fredi is so enamored with giving the Braves two-out innings that I’m convinced that he grew up dreaming of hitting World Series-winning bunts when he was a kid.
Bunts make managers feel smart. Homers win ballgames. Brian McCann knows that, and today he showed why he’s the best hitting catcher in the game.
- George Springer placed on 7-day concussion disabled list 1
- Video: Joey Votto ejected, bumps umpire 24
- Carlos Rodon to make first MLB start Saturday 1
- Bryce Harper’s underrated day: Three at-bats, three homers 43
- Tigers, doctors clear Justin Verlander to resume throwing 18
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 143
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (143)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (95)