May 17, 2011, 4:30 PM EST
What a day for Brian McCann.
On an afternoon when neither the Braves nor the Astros seemed too enthused about scoring runs, McCann took the game into his own hands, hitting a solo shot with two out in the bottom of the ninth to send it into extra innings and then, a few minutes ago, hitting a two-run bomb in the bottom of the 11th to give the Braves a 3-1 win and mini-sweep of Houston in the two-game series. Best part, I neglected to add when this post first went up: he didn’t even start. Came in as a pinch hitter for that first dinger.
The homers were particularly satisfying given that Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez had his players attempt something on the order of 125 bunts in this game. Indeed, Fredi is so enamored with giving the Braves two-out innings that I’m convinced that he grew up dreaming of hitting World Series-winning bunts when he was a kid.
Bunts make managers feel smart. Homers win ballgames. Brian McCann knows that, and today he showed why he’s the best hitting catcher in the game.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)