May 17, 2011, 6:25 PM EST
The move didn’t officially come today, but that’s only because the Mets were rained out. David Wright will be placed on the DL Wednesday after a CT scan confirmed the diagnosis of a stress fracture in his lower back.
In all, the Mets are making six roster moves. Going are Wright, reliever Ryota Igarashi and infielder Chin-Lung Hu. Joining the roster are infielder Ruben Tejada, first baseman-outfielder Nick Evans, and reliever Pedro Beato, who is returning from the DL.
The plan is for Wright to cease baseball activies for 10 days. If he recovers well, he could rejoin the team in early June. However, a stress fracture is no minor injury and it shouldn’t surprise anyone if he doesn’t make it back until after the All-Star break.
Tejada had been serving as Triple-A Buffalo’s shortstop after purposely being left out of the Mets’ second base competition this spring, but he figures to see most of the starts at second until Ike Davis returns. The Mets will primarily use Daniel Murphy at first and Justin Turner at third.
Tejada, who is still just 21 years old, was hitting .268/.337/.407 with three homers in 150 at-bats for the Bisons.
Evans should play only against lefties, probably at first base. He was off to a poor start for Buffalo, having hit .248/.285/.383 in 141 at-bats. However, he pummeled lefties to the tune of a .322/.379/.512 average in 121 at-bats for the Mets from 2008-10.
Beato will rejoin the pen. The Rule 5 selection from the Orioles didn’t allow an earned run in 17 innings before going down with a sore elbow.
Igarashi is being optioned out after giving up six runs in 11 2/3 innings. Hu, who was out of options, cleared waivers after going 1-for-20 with 11 strikeouts as a utilityman.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 0
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 70
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 47
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)