May 17, 2011, 6:25 PM EDT
The move didn’t officially come today, but that’s only because the Mets were rained out. David Wright will be placed on the DL Wednesday after a CT scan confirmed the diagnosis of a stress fracture in his lower back.
In all, the Mets are making six roster moves. Going are Wright, reliever Ryota Igarashi and infielder Chin-Lung Hu. Joining the roster are infielder Ruben Tejada, first baseman-outfielder Nick Evans, and reliever Pedro Beato, who is returning from the DL.
The plan is for Wright to cease baseball activies for 10 days. If he recovers well, he could rejoin the team in early June. However, a stress fracture is no minor injury and it shouldn’t surprise anyone if he doesn’t make it back until after the All-Star break.
Tejada had been serving as Triple-A Buffalo’s shortstop after purposely being left out of the Mets’ second base competition this spring, but he figures to see most of the starts at second until Ike Davis returns. The Mets will primarily use Daniel Murphy at first and Justin Turner at third.
Tejada, who is still just 21 years old, was hitting .268/.337/.407 with three homers in 150 at-bats for the Bisons.
Evans should play only against lefties, probably at first base. He was off to a poor start for Buffalo, having hit .248/.285/.383 in 141 at-bats. However, he pummeled lefties to the tune of a .322/.379/.512 average in 121 at-bats for the Mets from 2008-10.
Beato will rejoin the pen. The Rule 5 selection from the Orioles didn’t allow an earned run in 17 innings before going down with a sore elbow.
Igarashi is being optioned out after giving up six runs in 11 2/3 innings. Hu, who was out of options, cleared waivers after going 1-for-20 with 11 strikeouts as a utilityman.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 2
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 39
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)