May 17, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Franklin Gutierrez has yet to play this season due to ongoing stomach problems that date back to last year, but Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times reports that the Gold Glove center fielder “will rejoin the team as early as Wednesday” barring a setback.
Gutierrez has been playing at Triple-A and Eric Wedge told Baker that “he’s feeling good.” However, the manager also cautioned: “I don’t want to get ahead of myself. We’ve been there before.”
His replacements have been terrible, as Mariners center fielders have combined to hit just .169 with a .554 OPS that ranks dead last in the league. Michael Saunders has been the primary fill in after initially splitting time there with Ryan Langerhans.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)