May 17, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Franklin Gutierrez has yet to play this season due to ongoing stomach problems that date back to last year, but Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times reports that the Gold Glove center fielder “will rejoin the team as early as Wednesday” barring a setback.
Gutierrez has been playing at Triple-A and Eric Wedge told Baker that “he’s feeling good.” However, the manager also cautioned: “I don’t want to get ahead of myself. We’ve been there before.”
His replacements have been terrible, as Mariners center fielders have combined to hit just .169 with a .554 OPS that ranks dead last in the league. Michael Saunders has been the primary fill in after initially splitting time there with Ryan Langerhans.
- Miguel Cabrera ties Hank Greenberg with 331st career homer 7
- Bud Selig’s view on replay has “evolved” 13
- Umpires use replay on controversial Matt Joyce home run 12
- Rangers put Ian Kinsler on the 15-day disabled list and call up top prospect Jurickson Profar 6
- Carlos Ruiz leaves game with strained right hamstring 2
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles