May 17, 2011, 1:18 PM EDT
For now he’ll merely work out in Fort Myers alongside Jim Thome and Tsuyoshi Nishioka, building up strength in his surgically repaired knee after admitting that beginning the season on the active roster was a mistake.
Being without Mauer for all but nine games has obviously contributed to the Twins’ horrendous start, but his backups hitting like pitchers has compounded the problem further. As a group Minnesota catchers have hit .139 with zero homers and a .358 OPS. NL pitchers are hitting .137 with a .338 OPS.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 49
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)