May 17, 2011, 3:41 PM EDT
Cubs manager Mike Quade wasn’t very happy in the clubhouse after his team turned a four-run lead after six innings into a 7-4 loss to the Reds.
Here’s some of what he said:
That was embarrassing.That [stuff] has got to stop. And it’s everybody that was in that room for that meeting. Myself, the players and the coaching staff. It’s just not going to cut it right now. Nothing is [freaking] easy up here. You’ve got a nice 4-0 lead and “Z” is cruising and everything is hunky-dory. I’ve got news for you. It ain’t routine until the freaking thing is over. We’ve got to play that way. We’re not good enough to coast at all.
Anyone who can use the phrase “hunky-dory” in the same quote as the actual words represented by “[stuff]” and “[freaking]” is OK with me and I also appreciate Quade lumping himself and the coaching staff in with the criticism.
Quade went 24-13 after taking over for Lou Piniella last season, but so far this year the Cubs are just 17-22.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 22
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)