May 17, 2011, 3:41 PM EDT
Cubs manager Mike Quade wasn’t very happy in the clubhouse after his team turned a four-run lead after six innings into a 7-4 loss to the Reds.
Here’s some of what he said:
That was embarrassing.That [stuff] has got to stop. And it’s everybody that was in that room for that meeting. Myself, the players and the coaching staff. It’s just not going to cut it right now. Nothing is [freaking] easy up here. You’ve got a nice 4-0 lead and “Z” is cruising and everything is hunky-dory. I’ve got news for you. It ain’t routine until the freaking thing is over. We’ve got to play that way. We’re not good enough to coast at all.
Anyone who can use the phrase “hunky-dory” in the same quote as the actual words represented by “[stuff]” and “[freaking]” is OK with me and I also appreciate Quade lumping himself and the coaching staff in with the criticism.
Quade went 24-13 after taking over for Lou Piniella last season, but so far this year the Cubs are just 17-22.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)