May 17, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
First baseman Brandon Snyder and left-hander Troy Patton have joined the Orioles in Boston, and though neither has been officially activated yet, the team is likely to make room for both before the game.
Lee suffered a strained oblique during Monday’s game against the Red Sox. It’s awful timing for him, as he seemed to be warming up in the plate. He doubled in one of his two at-bats Monday, extended his hitting streak to six games and giving him four RBI in the last three games.
Izturis is reportedly dealing with numbness in his right hand that he’s gotten occasionally since having Tommy John surgery in Sept. 2005.
Snyder would likely share time at first base with Luke Scott while Lee is out. The former first-round pick was hitting .276/.342/.455 with five homers in 134 at-bats for Triple-A Norfolk. Most of his production came against left-handers, so the Orioles may want to use him in a strict platoon.
Patton, being used primarily as a reliever for the first time, had a 2.60 ERA in 17 1/3 innings for Norfolk. Although he’s a lefty, left-handers were hitting .286 against him, whereas righties were at .208.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 35
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 9
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 31
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)