May 17, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
First baseman Brandon Snyder and left-hander Troy Patton have joined the Orioles in Boston, and though neither has been officially activated yet, the team is likely to make room for both before the game.
Lee suffered a strained oblique during Monday’s game against the Red Sox. It’s awful timing for him, as he seemed to be warming up in the plate. He doubled in one of his two at-bats Monday, extended his hitting streak to six games and giving him four RBI in the last three games.
Izturis is reportedly dealing with numbness in his right hand that he’s gotten occasionally since having Tommy John surgery in Sept. 2005.
Snyder would likely share time at first base with Luke Scott while Lee is out. The former first-round pick was hitting .276/.342/.455 with five homers in 134 at-bats for Triple-A Norfolk. Most of his production came against left-handers, so the Orioles may want to use him in a strict platoon.
Patton, being used primarily as a reliever for the first time, had a 2.60 ERA in 17 1/3 innings for Norfolk. Although he’s a lefty, left-handers were hitting .286 against him, whereas righties were at .208.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)