May 17, 2011, 6:00 PM EST
First baseman Brandon Snyder and left-hander Troy Patton have joined the Orioles in Boston, and though neither has been officially activated yet, the team is likely to make room for both before the game.
Lee suffered a strained oblique during Monday’s game against the Red Sox. It’s awful timing for him, as he seemed to be warming up in the plate. He doubled in one of his two at-bats Monday, extended his hitting streak to six games and giving him four RBI in the last three games.
Izturis is reportedly dealing with numbness in his right hand that he’s gotten occasionally since having Tommy John surgery in Sept. 2005.
Snyder would likely share time at first base with Luke Scott while Lee is out. The former first-round pick was hitting .276/.342/.455 with five homers in 134 at-bats for Triple-A Norfolk. Most of his production came against left-handers, so the Orioles may want to use him in a strict platoon.
Patton, being used primarily as a reliever for the first time, had a 2.60 ERA in 17 1/3 innings for Norfolk. Although he’s a lefty, left-handers were hitting .286 against him, whereas righties were at .208.
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 13
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 81
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (82)