May 17, 2011, 8:25 AM EST
When a pitcher “wears one,” it means he takes one for the team in a blowout, helping preserve the other arms in the bullpen to fight and pitch another day. Vin Mazzaro did that last night in the Royals’ 19-1 loss to the Indians, and he did so in epic fashion. According to Joe Posnanski, this was the single worst performance by a pitcher. Ever. In baseball history. As Posnanski notes, no reliever since World War II had allowed 14 runs in a game and no pitcher has ever allowed 14 runs in less than three innings.
Mazzaro was sent down to Omaha after the game. And in this case, he’s probably happy for the demotion. Not out of shame, but for his own good and the good of Ned Yost who, for reasons that baffle me, let Mazarro take that abuse. Especially considering that the very purpose such abuse is supposed to serve — saving the pen — didn’t even happen. Nope, Yost still used Tim Collins, Joakim Soria and three other relievers in this one, which makes no sense to me at all. Don’t you put your utility infielder in to pitch a couple of innings at some point?
Mazzaro said all of the right things after the game, but man, at some point you’d hope your manager would save you from all of that.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)