May 17, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Kyle Davies leaving last night’s start after just one inning with a shoulder injury was terrible news for Vin Mazzaro, who took one for the team while allowing a remarkable 14 runs in 2.1 innings of relief.
However, it ultimately may be good news for the Royals. Davies has long been one of the worst pitchers in baseball, posting a 5.60 ERA in 748 career innings, and Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports that the Royals are calling up prospect Danny Duffy to replace him in the rotation.
Duffy, a 2007 third-round pick who ranked 68th on Baseball America‘s annual list of top prospects this year, will make his MLB debut tomorrow against the Rangers in Kansas City.
He has a 2.59 ERA and 402 strikeouts in 344 pro innings, including a 2.96 ERA and sparkling 84/19 K/BB ratio in 76 innings between Double-A and Triple-A despite being just 22 years old. He joins Eric Hosmer in the long-awaited youth movement arriving slightly ahead of schedule in Kansas City and could be in the rotation for a long time.
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 2
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 37
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)