May 17, 2011, 10:47 AM EST
Kyle Davies leaving last night’s start after just one inning with a shoulder injury was terrible news for Vin Mazzaro, who took one for the team while allowing a remarkable 14 runs in 2.1 innings of relief.
However, it ultimately may be good news for the Royals. Davies has long been one of the worst pitchers in baseball, posting a 5.60 ERA in 748 career innings, and Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports that the Royals are calling up prospect Danny Duffy to replace him in the rotation.
Duffy, a 2007 third-round pick who ranked 68th on Baseball America‘s annual list of top prospects this year, will make his MLB debut tomorrow against the Rangers in Kansas City.
He has a 2.59 ERA and 402 strikeouts in 344 pro innings, including a 2.96 ERA and sparkling 84/19 K/BB ratio in 76 innings between Double-A and Triple-A despite being just 22 years old. He joins Eric Hosmer in the long-awaited youth movement arriving slightly ahead of schedule in Kansas City and could be in the rotation for a long time.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (270)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)