T.J. Simers pays to go to a Dodgers game, just like a fan

May 17, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT

Los Angeles Dodgers batter Andre Ethier reacts in the dugout after he struck out against the New York Mets during their MLB National League baseball game in New York Reuters

I’ve had my issues with T.J. Simers in the past, but sometimes his curmudgeon act — though it may not be an act — is pretty damn funny. Like today’s column in which he eschewed the press pass and bought tickets to go see the Dodgers-Diamondbacks game the other night.  The point, I think, was to try to understand what it was all of the Dodgers fans who aren’t going to games this year are missing. Or, rather, what’s keeping them away.

I gotta say, he makes a pretty good case for the stay-aways. It’s pricey and the product the Dodgers are putting on the field isn’t exactly thrilling.  But the real reason to read the story is that there are a couple of howlingly funny lines. Like this:

I know this, the guy who owns this team must be really doing well — raking in all this money. The Dodgers announce a crowd of 30,000-plus almost every night.

And this:

I just can’t get over it — $70 to watch a baseball game! Throw in concessions, parking and kids — and why would anyone ever have kids if they intend to keep going to baseball games?

Or is it just me that finds that funny?

1. sdelmonte - May 17, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Wait. They include kids now? For just $70?

2. kopy - May 17, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Dodger Stadium looks nice in pictures and video games, and I’ve always wanted to go there. Does this mean I should stick with this favorable impression and never actually go?

• mordecofe - May 17, 2011 at 11:39 AM

I went once when I was in LA for work – totally worth it. Really enjoyed the experience. Of course, traffic getting out was ridiculous, but I imagine that’s anywhere you have to drive (I’m not a Yankees/Mets fan but live in NYC, and the subway to/from the stadiums has spoiled me).

• marshmallowsnake - May 17, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Sure, go…just wear blue or a bullet proof vest… do not make eye contact with anyone who may have a shaved head and tattoos…

3. bigxrob - May 17, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Shocking, just shocking, that this a$$ clown went to a baseball game and is complaining about it.

4. Brian Murphy - May 17, 2011 at 2:49 PM

I’m sure the bulk of SImers’ outrage came from the fact that he paid $70 for seats down the left-field line with no Marcus Thames to heckle — his favorite pastime.
    The moral of the story: Do your research before picking your Dodger Stadium seats. I don’t know why more people don’t sit in infield reserve, which has the best overall view of the field and the stadium, and the tickets that cost $25-30 per. Those loge seats are a giant ripoff and everyone knows it. Or should. Simers has only himself to blame.

5. rcali - May 17, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Dodger Stadium is a dump and so is your experience from the moment you open your wallet. I’m surprised they get 30,000 a game.

• Brian Murphy - May 17, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Well, they really don’t get 30,000 per game. Included in that total are the number of season tickets sold. Whether those ticket-holders actually showed up for the game or not is irrelevant; they are counted.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3274)