May 17, 2011, 10:35 PM EDT
Thinking the Reds-Cardinals rivalry could use some more juice? Me neither. But this will certainly kick things up a notch.
Reds broadcaster Marty Brennaman was highly critical of the Cardinals on Monday, one day after the Reds completed a three-game sweep of their division rivals. Among other things, Brennaman called Sunday’s starter Chris Carpenter a “whiner and excuse-maker” while describing Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan as “infantile” for yelling at Reds closer Francisco Cordero after he hit Albert Pujols with a pitch.
Cardinals manager Tony La Russa was away from the team during the series because a case of shingles, but told the Associated Press today that he didn’t appreciate Brennaman’s commentary.
“He earned the right to get into the Hall of Fame,” La Russa said. “And now he ought to keep earning that respect instead of abusing it.”
The Cardinals and Reds won’t meet again until until a three-game series beginning July 4 in St. Louis. Don’t worry, they’ll bring the fireworks.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 32
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 46
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)