May 17, 2011, 10:35 PM EST
Thinking the Reds-Cardinals rivalry could use some more juice? Me neither. But this will certainly kick things up a notch.
Reds broadcaster Marty Brennaman was highly critical of the Cardinals on Monday, one day after the Reds completed a three-game sweep of their division rivals. Among other things, Brennaman called Sunday’s starter Chris Carpenter a “whiner and excuse-maker” while describing Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan as “infantile” for yelling at Reds closer Francisco Cordero after he hit Albert Pujols with a pitch.
Cardinals manager Tony La Russa was away from the team during the series because a case of shingles, but told the Associated Press today that he didn’t appreciate Brennaman’s commentary.
“He earned the right to get into the Hall of Fame,” La Russa said. “And now he ought to keep earning that respect instead of abusing it.”
The Cardinals and Reds won’t meet again until until a three-game series beginning July 4 in St. Louis. Don’t worry, they’ll bring the fireworks.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 10
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 81
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)