May 17, 2011, 10:35 PM EDT
Thinking the Reds-Cardinals rivalry could use some more juice? Me neither. But this will certainly kick things up a notch.
Reds broadcaster Marty Brennaman was highly critical of the Cardinals on Monday, one day after the Reds completed a three-game sweep of their division rivals. Among other things, Brennaman called Sunday’s starter Chris Carpenter a “whiner and excuse-maker” while describing Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan as “infantile” for yelling at Reds closer Francisco Cordero after he hit Albert Pujols with a pitch.
Cardinals manager Tony La Russa was away from the team during the series because a case of shingles, but told the Associated Press today that he didn’t appreciate Brennaman’s commentary.
“He earned the right to get into the Hall of Fame,” La Russa said. “And now he ought to keep earning that respect instead of abusing it.”
The Cardinals and Reds won’t meet again until until a three-game series beginning July 4 in St. Louis. Don’t worry, they’ll bring the fireworks.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)