May 18, 2011, 9:30 PM EDT
19-year-old Cam Bedrosian, who was drafted 29th overall by the Angels last summer, underwent Tommy John surgery earlier this month, the team announced today.
The son of former major league reliever Steve Bedrosian figures to remain sidelined into the 2012 season.
Bedrosian hadn’t pitched this season. He had a 4.50 ERA in 12 innings in Rookie ball after signing last year. The Angels planned to develop him as a starter, but some thought he might follow in his dad’s footsteps and become a major league closer.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54