May 18, 2011, 10:19 PM EDT
Orioles right-hander Alfredo Simon is still facing manslaughter charges in the New Year’s Eve shooting death of Michel Esteban Castillo back in the Dominican Republic and could face up to two years in prison if convicted guilty.
The Orioles are going to take advantage of his freedom while he’s still got it.
From Avi Zaleon and Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com comes word that Simon will be activated from the restricted list on Sunday and will serve as a long reliever until he’s called to trial in about two months.
Simon has been stretched out for the past couple of weeks in the Orioles’ minor league system and could also make spot starts if necessary.
The 30-year-old right-hander has posted a 3.38 ERA, 1.19 WHIP and 17/5 K/BB ratio across 16 innings since joining up with Double-A Bowie last month. He has a 5.64 career ERA in the major leagues.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 27
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 4
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)