May 18, 2011, 10:19 PM EDT
Orioles right-hander Alfredo Simon is still facing manslaughter charges in the New Year’s Eve shooting death of Michel Esteban Castillo back in the Dominican Republic and could face up to two years in prison if convicted guilty.
The Orioles are going to take advantage of his freedom while he’s still got it.
From Avi Zaleon and Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com comes word that Simon will be activated from the restricted list on Sunday and will serve as a long reliever until he’s called to trial in about two months.
Simon has been stretched out for the past couple of weeks in the Orioles’ minor league system and could also make spot starts if necessary.
The 30-year-old right-hander has posted a 3.38 ERA, 1.19 WHIP and 17/5 K/BB ratio across 16 innings since joining up with Double-A Bowie last month. He has a 5.64 career ERA in the major leagues.
- Orioles finally lose a game when leading after seven 0
- Joey Votto reaches base six times as Reds rout Phillies 5
- Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating 6
- Quote of the Day: Brian Cashman is keeping Ben Francisco around to “piss everybody off” 28
- Report: Mets considering demoting Ike Davis 4
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit