May 18, 2011, 10:19 PM EST
Orioles right-hander Alfredo Simon is still facing manslaughter charges in the New Year’s Eve shooting death of Michel Esteban Castillo back in the Dominican Republic and could face up to two years in prison if convicted guilty.
The Orioles are going to take advantage of his freedom while he’s still got it.
From Avi Zaleon and Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com comes word that Simon will be activated from the restricted list on Sunday and will serve as a long reliever until he’s called to trial in about two months.
Simon has been stretched out for the past couple of weeks in the Orioles’ minor league system and could also make spot starts if necessary.
The 30-year-old right-hander has posted a 3.38 ERA, 1.19 WHIP and 17/5 K/BB ratio across 16 innings since joining up with Double-A Bowie last month. He has a 5.64 career ERA in the major leagues.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)