May 18, 2011, 10:19 PM EST
Orioles right-hander Alfredo Simon is still facing manslaughter charges in the New Year’s Eve shooting death of Michel Esteban Castillo back in the Dominican Republic and could face up to two years in prison if convicted guilty.
The Orioles are going to take advantage of his freedom while he’s still got it.
From Avi Zaleon and Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com comes word that Simon will be activated from the restricted list on Sunday and will serve as a long reliever until he’s called to trial in about two months.
Simon has been stretched out for the past couple of weeks in the Orioles’ minor league system and could also make spot starts if necessary.
The 30-year-old right-hander has posted a 3.38 ERA, 1.19 WHIP and 17/5 K/BB ratio across 16 innings since joining up with Double-A Bowie last month. He has a 5.64 career ERA in the major leagues.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 125
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 216
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (222)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)