May 18, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
Yesterday I observed that the Washington-Pittsburgh rainout seemed a bit hasty. You know, what with there being no rain in Washington yesterday and everything. Same went for the Mets-Marlins game last night which, it seems anyway, could have been played. I’m not the only one noticing. The USA Today notes that “preemptive postponements” seem to be on the rise.
The question raised by the USA Today is whether there is a strategic angle to all of this. On the business side, scheduling a game on a sunny day later in the year might make for a bigger crowd. And, as some are suggesting, perhaps dates later in the year may make for more games with a stronger roster too. That last bit seems a bit conspiracy theorist to me. But hey: when there’s no baseball game, we have nothing else to do but to come up with that kind of stuff.
But like I said yesterday: damned if you do, damned if you don’t. People complain about games being cancelled early. But if they cancel late, everyone complains that the team was just trying to get parking fees and a couple of beers sold before calling it night.
It’s the weather, man. And you know the saying: everyone likes to talk about the weather, but no one ever gets off their lazy butt and creates a weather control device (which could also cause earthquakes) to bring the world to its knees unless the nations of Earth destroyed all of their nuclear weapons, aircraft and navies and accepted the control of the Galaxy Organization.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 64
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)