May 18, 2011, 8:47 AM EDT
This actually happened.
Well, the first line and the third line are paraphrasing, but the line attributed to Galarraga is what he actually said on Monday.
Reporter: Hey Armando Galarraga, about that next possible start …
Armando Galarraga: “What are you talking about? What are talking about my next start, huh? What are you saying that I’m going to be worried about my next start? Huh? You saying I lost my job?!”
Kevin Towers: Well, actually Armando …
The Arizona Diamondbacks designated right-hander Armando Galarraga for assignment Tuesday night after the team’s 6-1 victory over the San Diego Padres.
Galarraga, acquired by the Diamondbacks from Detroit in January for a pair of prospects, was 3-4 with a 5.91 ERA in eight starts for Arizona. He had lost four straight games, including the club’s 8-4 loss to San Diego on Monday. He had allowed 13 home runs in 42 2/3 innings this season.
Part of me would like to think that Towers had no intention of DFAing Galarraga until Galarraga put the idea into his head himself.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (94)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)