May 18, 2011, 8:47 AM EST
This actually happened.
Well, the first line and the third line are paraphrasing, but the line attributed to Galarraga is what he actually said on Monday.
Reporter: Hey Armando Galarraga, about that next possible start …
Armando Galarraga: “What are you talking about? What are talking about my next start, huh? What are you saying that I’m going to be worried about my next start? Huh? You saying I lost my job?!”
Kevin Towers: Well, actually Armando …
The Arizona Diamondbacks designated right-hander Armando Galarraga for assignment Tuesday night after the team’s 6-1 victory over the San Diego Padres.
Galarraga, acquired by the Diamondbacks from Detroit in January for a pair of prospects, was 3-4 with a 5.91 ERA in eight starts for Arizona. He had lost four straight games, including the club’s 8-4 loss to San Diego on Monday. He had allowed 13 home runs in 42 2/3 innings this season.
Part of me would like to think that Towers had no intention of DFAing Galarraga until Galarraga put the idea into his head himself.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 284
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (284)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)