May 18, 2011, 8:47 AM EST
This actually happened.
Well, the first line and the third line are paraphrasing, but the line attributed to Galarraga is what he actually said on Monday.
Reporter: Hey Armando Galarraga, about that next possible start …
Armando Galarraga: “What are you talking about? What are talking about my next start, huh? What are you saying that I’m going to be worried about my next start? Huh? You saying I lost my job?!”
Kevin Towers: Well, actually Armando …
The Arizona Diamondbacks designated right-hander Armando Galarraga for assignment Tuesday night after the team’s 6-1 victory over the San Diego Padres.
Galarraga, acquired by the Diamondbacks from Detroit in January for a pair of prospects, was 3-4 with a 5.91 ERA in eight starts for Arizona. He had lost four straight games, including the club’s 8-4 loss to San Diego on Monday. He had allowed 13 home runs in 42 2/3 innings this season.
Part of me would like to think that Towers had no intention of DFAing Galarraga until Galarraga put the idea into his head himself.
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 55
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (141)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (86)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (80)