May 18, 2011, 8:47 AM EST
This actually happened.
Well, the first line and the third line are paraphrasing, but the line attributed to Galarraga is what he actually said on Monday.
Reporter: Hey Armando Galarraga, about that next possible start …
Armando Galarraga: “What are you talking about? What are talking about my next start, huh? What are you saying that I’m going to be worried about my next start? Huh? You saying I lost my job?!”
Kevin Towers: Well, actually Armando …
The Arizona Diamondbacks designated right-hander Armando Galarraga for assignment Tuesday night after the team’s 6-1 victory over the San Diego Padres.
Galarraga, acquired by the Diamondbacks from Detroit in January for a pair of prospects, was 3-4 with a 5.91 ERA in eight starts for Arizona. He had lost four straight games, including the club’s 8-4 loss to San Diego on Monday. He had allowed 13 home runs in 42 2/3 innings this season.
Part of me would like to think that Towers had no intention of DFAing Galarraga until Galarraga put the idea into his head himself.
- Report: Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from the Athletics 0
- The Matt Kemp trade is expected to go down as planned 0
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 73
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)