May 18, 2011, 8:47 AM EDT
This actually happened.
Well, the first line and the third line are paraphrasing, but the line attributed to Galarraga is what he actually said on Monday.
Reporter: Hey Armando Galarraga, about that next possible start …
Armando Galarraga: “What are you talking about? What are talking about my next start, huh? What are you saying that I’m going to be worried about my next start? Huh? You saying I lost my job?!”
Kevin Towers: Well, actually Armando …
The Arizona Diamondbacks designated right-hander Armando Galarraga for assignment Tuesday night after the team’s 6-1 victory over the San Diego Padres.
Galarraga, acquired by the Diamondbacks from Detroit in January for a pair of prospects, was 3-4 with a 5.91 ERA in eight starts for Arizona. He had lost four straight games, including the club’s 8-4 loss to San Diego on Monday. He had allowed 13 home runs in 42 2/3 innings this season.
Part of me would like to think that Towers had no intention of DFAing Galarraga until Galarraga put the idea into his head himself.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)