May 18, 2011, 2:29 PM EST
There was supposed to be a hearing in the Barry Bonds case on Friday during which the defense would make post-trial motions and the prosecutors would announce whether they were going to re-try Bonds. The sides have agreed to postpone the hearing until June 17th, however, citing the need for more preparation, thought, contemplation and various and sundry lawyerly things.
It’s possible that they are, as they say in the San Francisco Chronicle’s story, trying to get their ducks in neater rows. Just wild speculation on my part, but it’s also possible that the two sides are talking about some sort of deal to present to the judge to wrap it all up. Though really, I’m not sure what incentive either side would have in that regard given that (a) the government got a single-count conviction and that they’re not likely to give up that single count in any sort of a deal; and (b) Bonds wouldn’t really gain anything by agreeing to any sort of a deal that includes the extant conviction.
So yeah, probably just your garden variety delay in litigation.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)